This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Chamonix conditions
Posted: 18 January 2011 04:30 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-01-18

Does anyone know what conditions are like high up in Chamonix at the moment?  Are things like Cosmique Couloir skiable?  Thanks.

Posted: 18 January 2011 05:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-12-18

Can’t comment on the Cosmique as haven’t done it. Snow levels are low for this time of the year, most routes that you would expect to be in by now are narrow and have icy sections. Lots of crevasses are wide open and trade routes like the Valley Blanche are tricky in places. After the rain last week and warm temps most of the snow has gone lower down. The Berard valley is still complete so routes over the Aiguilles Rouges are ok. Lots of teams on the Alphonse Favre yesterday. The good news is the temperature is expected to fall by the weekend but there doesn’t seem to be much snow on the way. Courmayeur is in great nick so a trip through the tunnel is well worthwhile.

Posted: 18 January 2011 06:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2005-05-06

Was in Courmayeur on Sunday - the difference between Cham and there was startling.

Signature 

http://www.alpine-property.com

Posted: 18 January 2011 06:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I’ve moved this to the snow section.

One thing I noticed is that sunny couloirs look like they are in end of season condition - with a goulotte and lots of debris. This may not apply further up where it is colder and has snowed more. The Cosmiques must be entirely above the recent rain line though.

Temperatures are cooling as Alan says with maybe a dusting on Thursday down to valley levels. Meteo France are talking about “significant” snow in the east on Monday but when pressed didn’t want to say where in the east and significant seemed to mean “traffic disrupting” rather than “season making”. The problem I see for the weekend is that we will have crusty conditions on north faces and won’t have spring conditions like last weekend on south faces due to the cold. Misery all round.]
==

In fact MF show snow for all of next week. Could be a game changer for February.

[ Edited: 18 January 2011 06:25 PM by davidof]

Posted: 19 January 2011 11:26 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-01-18

I arrive 6 Feb so fingers crossed for the game changer.

Posted: 21 January 2011 06:38 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-05-05

Not sure about Cosmiques but this time last week everything in the argentiere basin was in nick barring the Couturier ((give or take a line or two). We skied Col des Cristaux on Friday, my mate Ross skied the NE of the Courtes on Sunday, also skied were Col des Courtes (Pointe Eales), Aig Qui Remue, Col de L’Aiguille Verte (Direct!).

BUT - conditions had changed a lot from the Friday to the Sunday and will doubtless evolve alot between now & 6 Feb…

Posted: 03 February 2011 01:06 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-10-08

Just returned on Tuesday. No powder, apart from wind blown, but great skiing off piste at high altitude. Grands Montets, Argentiere glacier, Crochues Berard and Vallee Blanche down to the gondola all in good nick. South facing slopes less good, although some transformed “spring snow” briefly on the higher slopes of Brevent/Flegere if you get the timing right. On piste, all high pistes in superb condition, lower pistes icy because of the cold temperatures.

Posted: 03 February 2011 03:36 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-01-18

Good to hear that it’s not all gloom.

I spoke to the guide that we have booked for Tuesday and Wednesday of next week and he was a little more pessimistic but was suggesting Col des Cristaux and a Tour Ronde route (not sure which but it involves the Brenva Glacier at some point).  We’ll see how that plays out and I’ll report back.

Posted: 10 November 2011 05:15 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-11-10

Can’t comment on the Cosmique as haven’t done it. Snow levels are low for this time of the year, most routes that you would expect to be in by now are narrow and have icy sections. Lots of crevasses are wide open and trade routes like the Valley Blanche are tricky in places. After the rain last week and warm temps most of the snow has gone lower down. The Berard valley is still complete so routes over the Aiguilles Rouges are ok. Lots of teams on the Alphonse Favre yesterday. The good news is the temperature is expected to fall by the weekend but there doesn’t seem to be much snow on the way. Courmayeur is in great nick so a trip through the tunnel is well worthwhile.
YES,I THISK SO!