This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Skiing the Western Alps: 25 ‘Must-do’ Descents
Posted: 01 November 2011 03:33 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-07-28

This is an article by Matt Dickinson, IFMGA guide. A great start for anyone needing a bit of inspiration for the upcoming season or to just compare with your own experiences. What do you think? Has he missed your favourites off the list?

Click here for details

Signature 

Mountain Tracks
mountaintracks.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for regular updates on mountain conditions, news and views.

Posted: 01 November 2011 04:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 01 November 2011 05:46 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

14 ?

Posted: 01 November 2011 05:50 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24

thought I’d pare the discussion down to the essentials grin isn’t it all about how many you’ve done ?  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2011 05:58 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

ah right, well you have the advantage of being Swiss based, if it was 25 must do routes within half an hour of my house I would have more chance.

Obviously any list is going to be a bit arbitrary, it probably doesn’t make any sense suggesting the Couloir de l’Infernet because it is too steep and too obscure even if it compares very favourably to the much more famous couloir Marinelli (2000m of vertical down a single crack is impressive.

From the few routes I know the Foglietta is worth it, the short climb tends to limit the number of skiers a bit. It is Ste Foy btw Miss Mountain Tracks, Mme Foy was a woman. The Sache/Sachette get far too skied and are practically itinerary routes although they go through some spectacular scenery.

[ Edited: 01 November 2011 06:07 PM by davidof]

Posted: 01 November 2011 06:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24

I was quite surprised I’d done that many & it may be more like 16 or more, a couple of the names seem familiar and I’d need to read it better.

Obviously I’ve done the Anniviers ones, Orxival is excellent via any number of lines and the next peak along, La Brinta, is great accessed by a ski into the the Rechy and a climb out. The Moiry barrage is very run of the mill, good on a powder day but the skiing below the barrage is exposed to some big slopes which, IMHO, are seriously under-estimated by the hordes on the route. The run of the Marenda is pretty epic I think, steep, narrow and onto an exposed slope below, very, very serious (or so I thought). The run off the Bishorn is the best in the valley IMHO if you’ve a day or two to climb it.

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:23 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2005-02-26

15 (based in the Netherlands)

So don’t complain Davidof! wink

[ Edited: 02 November 2011 06:47 PM by Rolf]

Posted: 03 November 2011 09:32 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

It may also be a perspective problem, from Lyon, Paris, Maastrich the whole Alps lies before you as your playground. So you’ll concentrate on going for the big, quality descents rather than Couloir X behind my house that may or may not have skiable snow.

I do a lot of travelling during the week so my pleasure is to ski as close as I can to home.

Posted: 03 November 2011 05:44 PM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2005-02-06

8 but on the plus side he says that the Bellcotte is not for advanced intermediates, does this mean that for the first time “ever” I’m better at something than I thought smile

Posted: 04 November 2011 11:25 AM   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2005-02-26
davidof - 03 November 2011 09:32 AM

It may also be a perspective problem, from Lyon, Paris, Maastrich the whole Alps lies before you as your playground. So you’ll concentrate on going for the big, quality descents rather than Couloir X behind my house that may or may not have skiable snow.

I do a lot of travelling during the week so my pleasure is to ski as close as I can to home.

Right you are:  I am absolutely jealous!

‹‹ Lost      Avalanche Airbags: Taking Risks? ››