News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

les Deux Alpes
Posted: 23 October 2011 09:52 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

We headed up to les Deux Alpes today, mainly for on piste skiing (skiing off piste on autumn glaciers is always something you need to think twice about). Just some beta on snow conditions. High winds on the 19th-20th had damaged the Lauze link over to la Grave but the snow on the Dome runs didn’t look great. Too much wind. The DAL (resort company) want to get the lift into running condition this week.

P1020627.JPG height=214 width=640

A look over to the Grandes Rousses and the Pic Bayle

P1020628.JPG height=317 width=800

here is a zoom on the Glaciers of the Grandes Rousses.

P1020628%20%28copy%29.JPG height=206 width=800

the glacier de la Sarenne is hard to make out, oriented south-east it only really exists on the south-west side of the bowl. Certainly the days of opening at autumn half term seem to be long behind it. Lots of open ice on under the Pic Bayle, as was the case at les Deux Alpes off the glacier runs.

P1020626.JPG height=344 width=640

Looking down to the Serre Palas there isn’t much left of last weeks snow, however someone had parked their car at the lac du Sautet (2300) m and had toured up from there (and skied down), it looked pretty marginal. Certainly one for the rock skis.

P1020650.JPG height=480 width=640

Roche de la Muzelle from the ski resort.

P1020616.JPG height=276 width=640

Here is a general view of the glacier de Mont de Lans runs. About 5-10cm of recent snow on a hard, sometimes icy, base. Good skiing but make sure your edges are good.

Posted: 23 October 2011 10:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

Nice to see some more snow. The lifts here in Leysin closed finally today along with the Isenau lift at Les Diablerets. Over in Villars one of the lifts will run a few more days and the tram up to Bretaye will run on a much reduced schedule which is handy for early season snowshoeing with people. Glacier 3000 should open 5th November, I’ll not bother on the weekend but I may just go in the week if they manage that.

Should be a couple of cm this week but nothing significant I think.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 23 October 2011 10:36 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Is the Swiss half term out of sync with that in France? Les Deux Alpes stays open all this week with probably a bit of snow on Tuesday but nothing like we got last October (which is no bad thing I think, as it will all melt).

Posted: 24 October 2011 08:08 AM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

Depends on the canton for when and how long. And that depends, in part, on when the grapes are ready. But it was a very early harvest this year and pretty much over before any of the holidays started. I think Geneva & the Vaud are off this week.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland