This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Ski Crampons
Posted: 18 September 2011 04:11 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-11-09

I’m about to change to some wider off piste ski’s and had planned to mount my current Diamir Explore bindings. The problem is the crampons I have for those bindings are going to be too small, and they don’t seem to do wider (107mm+) ones.

I wondered if a set of generic ‘Harscheisen’ would work, but looking at the designs I’m not so sure. Any other suggestions for ski crampons other than buying new bindings ?

Posted: 18 September 2011 05:49 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

Voile may work for you, quite common on free heel gear, interesting compared to the fritschi you’ve got full crampon contact with heel elevator up

http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2090&Category_Code=CMPN&Product_Count=1

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 18 September 2011 10:41 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Out of interest what width are your skis? I have some 99mm skis which I bought for a bit of a laff but I have never bothered with ski crampons for them. That is quite a wide ski with quite a bit of torque if you are traversing a pitch and I personally feel that it is better to go straight to boot crampons with skis that wide.

I tend to belong to the small anti-ski-crampon school. I think they can get you into trouble, especially in certain terrain configurations (convex, hollows, poor snow). I know that boot packing isn’t always fun either but I think it is safer.

All that said, people who don’t do much skinning may well find that crampons are a great aid in less marginal conditions.

KenR tells me my ski crampon fears are unfounded and that only a few mm of bite is enough to hold you on a slope and he’s probably right.

Ise has pointed to Voile crampon which seems to be the principal option for wide skis. There was another thread somewhere where this subject was discussed but I couldn’t find it.

Posted: 18 September 2011 11:30 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 18 September 2011 10:41 PM

Ise has pointed to Voile crampon which seems to be the principal option for wide skis. There was another thread somewhere where this subject was discussed but I couldn’t find it.

There was, I think I had asked a similar question, I’ve got a pile of ski crampons and it’s not something I use every day so I was wondering about being able to swap them around. I don’t think I’ve ever used my tele touring ones. In fact, just right now I’m not sure I recall using my ultra wide fritschi’s either, I recall lending them to someone because his skins were slipping and it was a bit of extra traction.

People do vary with how much they use them, I quite like them but I find if I’m out with Swiss people they won’t stop and put them on so you’re left with the choice of stopping to stick them on and watching them disappear over the horizon or hanging in. I seem to recall a lot of times I’ve been fairly unhappy and wanted either ski crampons or boot crampons. I’ve changed CAS section with moving house, maybe the new section likes crampons more grin

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2011 08:40 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24
ise - 18 September 2011 11:30 PM

People do vary with how much they use them, I quite like them but I find if I’m out with Swiss people they won’t stop and put them on so you’re left with the choice of stopping to stick them on and watching them disappear over the horizon or hanging in. I seem to recall a lot of times I’ve been fairly unhappy and wanted either ski crampons or boot crampons. I’ve changed CAS section with moving house, maybe the new section likes crampons more grin

The Austrians are worse, or so I’ve heard, they won’t even make kick turns preferring to climb slopes directly. This must limit the kind of grade they can get up though.

Posted: 19 September 2011 08:47 AM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 19 September 2011 08:40 AM

The Austrians are worse, or so I’ve heard, they won’t even make kick turns preferring to climb slopes directly. This must limit the kind of grade they can get up though.

the older guys here are amazing with kick turns, you’re right behind one of them and then without anything obvious happening they’re facing the other way. It’s like it’s done with mirrors.

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2011 02:10 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-09

Out of interest what width are your skis? I have some 99mm skis which I bought for a bit of a laff but I have never bothered with ski crampons for them. That is quite a wide ski with quite a bit of torque if you are traversing a pitch and I personally feel that it is better to go straight to boot crampons with skis that wide.

The ski’s are quoted at 107 wide. To be honest I’m more focused on general lift served off piste, hence the choice of ski’s, but would like the option to do day tours.  Any thoughts on the Diamir Explore’s in this role ?

Interesting you mention the width v torque and I did wonder about that.  Perhaps the other option would be a set of boot crampons instead. My ‘justification’ for buying the ski’s was that I could use my existing bindings.

ise, thanks for that link. Looks like they are hard to find in the UK but I guess shipping from the USA would not be so much.

Posted: 20 September 2011 06:28 AM   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2005-02-26

@ise: what you need is de Diamir Axion crampon. You can switch them ‘on’ while walking!

Posted: 20 September 2011 08:10 AM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
Rolf - 20 September 2011 06:28 AM

@ise: what you need is de Diamir Axion crampon. You can switch them ‘on’ while walking!

I had the original ones a few years back, but they don’t work on dynafits grin

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2011 10:07 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-09
ise - 20 September 2011 08:10 AM

Rolf - 20 September 2011 06:28 AM

I had the original ones a few years back, but they don’t work on dynafits grin

Yep, I have a pair on the current set-up. Very good but too narrow for the new ski :-(

Posted: 20 September 2011 02:25 PM   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
david000 - 19 September 2011 02:10 PM

ise, thanks for that link. Looks like they are hard to find in the UK but I guess shipping from the USA would not be so much.

you might ask Braemar Mountain Sports Ltd, they have tele gear and stock Voile in the UK. I’m fairly certain Telemark Pyrenees will have them.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2011 02:57 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24
david000 - 19 September 2011 02:10 PM

Any thoughts on the Diamir Explore’s in this role ?

They’ll work but always remember that a Rando binding has quite a lot of moving parts and is built with weight in mind so don’t expect them to be as reliable as an alpine binding or to as last as long. The Explore was also designed before skis were anything like as fat as they are now so the baseplate is not particularly wide and maybe not ideal for someone charging hard on a fat ski (torque again). I’m sure they will be ok but I hear more reports of people ripping out bindings (not just Colin Samuels in la Grave if you followed that conversation).

Posted: 21 September 2011 09:52 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-09

Thanks all.  It looks like the easier option is going to be to pick up a pair of Barons and keep the Explore’s on my ‘rock skis’ for any local snow.