This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

6 of the worst - ski lifts & ski lift fails!
Posted: 23 August 2011 01:41 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-05-16

Hello hello!

So we’re back for our regular instalment and this week we thought we’d change things up a bit… so without further ado we bring you, 6 of the WORST - ski lifts and ski lift fails.

The Nutcracker Lifts – Craigieburn Valley, NZ

I don’t know about you but the name “Nutcracker” certainly doesn’t make me jump for joy at the prospect of strapping myself onto one of these! Essentially the Nutcracker is a rope tow that you attach yourself to with a nutcracker shaped carabiner clip and harness around your hips. No actual nut-cracking takes place… PHEW! It does take a while to get used to these and it is due to their primitive nature that they’ve made it into this list… what’s wrong with a POMA eh?!

“Lift of Death” – Bansko, Bulgaria

This lift known only as the “the lift of death” (well to the folks of YouTube at least) isn’t actually that bad a lift… it’s relatively modern and fairly quick, it’s just that getting off it seems to be a bit more of a challenge than any other lift… probably due to the fact that it doesn’t slow down… at all! Check out the “lift of death” series below if you fancy a chuckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCj2eHJ4lQ&feature=related

Single Chair - Mad Glen River Ski Resort

The clue is in the name here… a single chairlift. No friends to chat too, no random punters to make fun of, just you and a 20-minute chairlift ride. Some might say they’d enjoy the peaceful ride, others would say that this chair is a piece of history… personally I’d say you wouldn’t want to ride it more than once.  Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E58Y7UKZCs

Leissières Express - Val D’Isère, France

Ok so technically speaking this isn’t one of the worst lifts in the world, it’s actually really good in terms of comfort and speed… however… if you’re scared of heights it is absolutely terrifying! All seems well as you ascend to the summit when all of a sudden you realise, there’s no stop, only for the ground to drop away very suddenly as you descend down the other side of the valley!

If you’re not scared of heights though you’ll probably love this lift, as it affords fantastic views over the whole of Espace Killy and the Iseran Valley.

This Guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6pQwo_9r4

One word… Ouch.

And this Guy:

ski-lift-fail.jpg

Bit nippy…?

Let us know your pick of the worst lifts, the worst queues, and of course the funniest fails you’ve seen… always good for a laugh!

Signature 

SnowSkool

Ski & Snowboard Instructor and Improver Courses

CANADA : FRANCE : NEW ZEALAND : U.S.A

Ski Instructor Courses
Snowboard Instructor Courses

Posted: 24 August 2011 11:03 AM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

maybe this plays better on Snowheads?

I’m not much interested in laughing at people falling off lifts personally.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 24 August 2011 11:19 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-05-16

Duly noted ise… just thought I’d offer it up for a bit of fun.

Signature 

SnowSkool

Ski & Snowboard Instructor and Improver Courses

CANADA : FRANCE : NEW ZEALAND : U.S.A

Ski Instructor Courses
Snowboard Instructor Courses

Posted: 29 August 2011 08:28 AM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05
SnowSkool - 23 August 2011 01:41 PM

Hello hello!

So we’re back for our regular instalment and this week we thought we’d change things up a bit…

oh dear, here we go again…

ise - 24 August 2011 11:03 AM

maybe this plays better on Snowheads?

well put, particularly in the GAP year let daddy pay for my ski instructor course in Banff forum

Posted: 30 August 2011 05:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
OliC - 29 August 2011 08:28 AM

well put, particularly in the GAP year let daddy pay for my ski instructor course in Banff forum

I was thinking in the long running “what can I buy?” forum grin

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2011 05:45 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-10-08
ise - 30 August 2011 05:29 PM

OliC - 29 August 2011 08:28 AM

I was thinking in the long running “what can I buy?” forum grin

Is that still running? I stopped checking when I went off on my summer holiday, and somehow never went back…
What about the thread on how many skis/boots/helmets can I get into EasyJet hand luggage without consulting their own T&Cs?

Posted: 01 September 2011 06:00 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
Chamcham - 01 September 2011 05:45 PM

What about the thread on how many skis/boots/helmets can I get into EasyJet hand luggage without consulting their own T&Cs?

I’ve lost my bookmark for that one, it was under the “I’ve bought special skis for every kind of snow, I’m calling it a quiver because that sounds better than not being able to vary my technique. Despite the evidence of my huge disposable income I think the poor sap next to me on the flight ought to pay more for my ski carriage even though compared to any other sport I’m getting an amazing deal”. It could be on hold for the summer while they do “my boots leak, can I get a new pair?” or “1000 reasons why my business plan required people to work for free and be grateful” or “please, I’m desperate, please, please rent my studio (although I’m calling it a chalet)”

I’ll get mail, I know I will..

OTOH, if anyone does want to rent a room in our B&B* , pay for my new Sportiva boots which wore out because I wear them for work, pay for my MTB carriage or work in the B&B* for free do let me know grin

* B&B = Bed and Breacfast bekause it’s kooler

Signature 

‹‹ The red zone      La Grave, hotel v refuge ››