This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Snow Snacks! (Outside of Europe)
Posted: 27 May 2011 11:41 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-05-16

Let’s face it, who really cares whether Japan or Canada offers the best snow, whether the States has the best tree-skiing or whether Australia and New Zealand provide drinkers with the best aprés-ski. The most important factors when it comes to where I shall spend my precious weeks in the snow this season are the local delicacies on offer to stimulate my palate, to supply me with the energy required to keep me skiing between mid-morning snack and my generously portioned lunch. Here’s what I have found in my travels.

Canada

A local favourite amongst the Canucks is poutine: a wonderful dish of crispy fries topped by cheese curds and a chicken (or sometimes veal) based sauce. Prince Edward Island potatoes are the preferred variety for the fries and cheese curds from the brand Frommage Beaucronne are ideal and their freshness vital - but the most important component of poutine is the sauce. It is basically a velouté sauce: thickened chicken stock, seasoned with pepper and with a taste of onions, with a few additions and modifications. It’s also a pretty cheap lunch option and as such is favoured by struggling seasonnaires and students on ski instructor courses alike!

Japan

As well as boasting some of the best powder known to man, Japanese cuisine is also some of the most delicious in the world! For a great snow snack opt for Ramen Noodle Soup; The ramen relates to the style of noodle used (essential for a carb hit to keep you going), while the stock is made from chicken bone, pork bone, niboshi (dried sardines) or kombu and vegetables, such as ginger, garlic, or/and mushrooms… a pretty healthy snack really. Add some meat in there too and you’ve got a winner!

New Zealand

The classic Kiwi meat pie isn’t usually considered gourmet food, but it’s an icon for many of us. Eaten hot from a paper bag, with its flaky golden pastry and savoury filling, a pie is unpretentious comfort food. You’d also do well to visit one of the famous burger bars in Queenstown… Fergburger is always a favourite for locals and tourists alike - think burgers the size of your own head!

USA

Having “borrowed” food from all over the world, we can only really say that the hamburger and fries is a true American tradition. It is wonderful in the eating but will likely weigh you down in the powder in the afternoon… and most people don’t need any help in getting stuck every now and again! So why not go for a large plate of nahcos shared between friends for a delicious but messy energy fix?!
From one food loving skier to another; I think I would choose Canada. A lumberjack breakfast of Canadian Bacon, Pancakes with Maple syrup, and eggs would give me the energy to ski hard all morning, and poutine for lunch would give me the much needed carb hit to take me through to last lifts! Sure it’s not as refined as the cuisine that Europe’s famous for… but DAMN is it good!

So what’s your favorite Snow Snack?

Signature 

SnowSkool

Ski & Snowboard Instructor and Improver Courses

CANADA : FRANCE : NEW ZEALAND : U.S.A

Ski Instructor Courses
Snowboard Instructor Courses

Posted: 27 May 2011 02:41 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2005-02-06

Surely nothing can compete with the ubiquitous croque-monsieur smile

Posted: 27 May 2011 02:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-05-16

Ahh the croque monsieur… it is no surprise that this has made an appearance so early on.

I would be inclined to agree with you and Monsieur Croque will certainly be making it into the European installment of this article!

I could talk about French food all day… but how about something from further afield… anymore suggestions?

Signature 

SnowSkool

Ski Instructor Courses

Posted: 01 June 2011 01:46 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-11-25

Is spam a Snow Snack? I suppose you are at least providing what appears to be some original content along with your “ski instructor courses” links stealthily inserted into the articles grin

Signature 

Alpine skier, looking to start skinning.
Ski Reviews | Snowboard Reviews

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:43 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-05-16

I guess if you were skiing around war time it would probably be an excellent snack.

One stealthy link never hurt anyone… which I’m sure is the same case for your two signature links wink

It is original content for the site, but apologies if it feels a little spammy.

Signature 

SnowSkool

Ski Instructor Courses

Posted: 02 June 2011 11:38 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I can understand everyone being fed up with spam these says, I sympathize, I deal with it daily, but I think we can allow a few links here and there, even sneaky ones grin. I hate forums where you can’t include links or they get turned into non-links or they no-follow all the links like trickypedia.

I’m now thinking about mountain fayre I’ve eaten. In Switzerland it seems to be Rosti or Gnochi and maybe the ubiquitous fondue. In France, Tartiflette, gawd I’ve eaten so many this winter it is untrue. Although I’m told Tartiflette is a modern invention devised for a marketing campaign in the mid 1980s for Reblochon. In the Massif Centrale it is Truffade. I’m more partial to Crozet (small pasta bits) though or even a Diot (Croyait en Diot as the Savoyards say) washed down with a nice bottle of Apremont, the knave of Savoy wines.

Posted: 03 June 2011 12:08 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-11-25
davidof - 02 June 2011 11:38 AM

I can understand everyone being fed up with spam these says, I sympathize, I deal with it daily, but I think we can allow a few links here and there, even sneaky ones grin.

Oh absolutely, I’m just calling a spade a spade, and with a smiley face to boot grin which from me and my cynical anti-spam nature, is quite a thing!

It’s better than the usual, i.e. it’s relevant and original content and along with interesting discussion catalysts, but I always judge these things on whether there would be a post if there was no chance of a link from the start. Like I said I am cynical grin

Any way, back on track, for me it’s a burger (protein and carbs), tartiflette (when I can bear shelling out such a price for such cheap ingredients, or now I am full time Switzerland, something cheesy (fondue, en croute etc).

Nachos? I imagine I’d be hungry for the rest of the day especially other sharing the same plate have faster and bigger fingers than me.

Signature 

Alpine skier, looking to start skinning.
Ski Reviews | Snowboard Reviews

Posted: 03 June 2011 12:23 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-05-16

Davidof - thanks for the contribution. I had an interesting hybrid meal during the season this year… crozets crossed with fondue,essentially it was crozets in a bowl of molten cheese. Delicious but HEAVY to say the least and probably not a meal I’d repeat in a hurry!

Star - I fully understand a cynical anti-spam nature and of course I am trying to get links out there… but I’m also trying to promote discussion and actively contribute to this forum smile

As it’s nearly lunchtime all this talk of burgers, tartiflette and cheese is making me ridiculously hungry… it’s also making me regret my choice of salad for lunch.

I notice that France seems to be a recurring destination, do either of you have a favorite station de ski?!

Also Star I see that you’re looking to start skinning, I know someone with a pair for sale if you’re after some skins?

Signature 

SnowSkool

Ski Instructor Courses

Posted: 03 June 2011 03:05 PM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

You should have ordered Salad Savoyard, then you would most certainly not go hungry - various crispy leaves topped with croutons, lardons and chunks of Tomme all coated in a simple vinaigrette - usually a huge platter and often listed as a startersmile
In past years, bringing up a family skiing, we could never afford the luxury of eating in the cafes and restaurants, so would always pack a baguette, butter, cheese, pate and ham together with a selction of drinks and made sandwiches on the slopes - my daughter reminded me of this the other day when we were trekking the Beacons, which I had done the same that day. She also reminded me of the time when we had 1 Mars bar and 4 Baby Bels between 4, when it was chucking it down with snow:(
Got to bring them up the right waywink