This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

France to ban Speed Camera Warning Systems
Posted: 13 May 2011 09:55 AM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

It had to happen but to be fair to the French they always seem to provide a large warning sign before a fixed camera - it’s the little mobile ones that are the problem. See -
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/France-To-Ban-Sale-And-Use-Of-Speed-Camera-Warning-Systems-2238.php

Posted: 13 May 2011 09:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I’m not too happy about having to wear a flappy fluorescent jacket on my motorbike.

I know a number of people who hoon around at 160kp/h then slam on the brakes down to 115-120kp/h just before the cameras, it is pretty dangerous.

What annoys me is there are not enough speed limit repeaters on French roads and too many random changes in speed - the road up to Chamonix is a good example: 130, 110, 90, 70 then back up again!

Posted: 15 May 2011 09:52 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-09-27

Completely agree about the random speed changes.

We live in Bourg Sainte Maurice and the straight main road in (only access for Val D’Isere, La Rosiere, Les Arcs) goes from 90 down to 30 for every tiny hamlet along the road.

Everyone ignors the signs in summer (there aren’t any cameras) and in winter there are tail backs sometimes as far a Moutiers on the weekend as cars slow down. Surely it would be better for the inhabitants to have the road at 50 and not have horrendous traffic fumes once a week in the winter??

Signature 

http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/ for catered chalet holidays in Les Coches, Paradiski.

Posted: 20 May 2011 03:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

They are now also to remove the warning signs. I guess this will lead to a worse situation of “slamming on the anchors” at the last minute, as what happens in the UK.
To be fair, whilst I prefer the French Autoroutes(except the A6 which I avoid like the plague and, having to pay) to the UK motorways, I do find more “nutters” on French roads than the UK’s and the statistics bear this out.
The UK’s “average speed cameras” definitely appear to work and seem to allow a smoother traffic flow - maybe that’s what France need in it’s “hotspots”.