News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

route suggestions near la grave
Posted: 08 April 2011 04:05 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-11-20

Hi,

I’ve got a couple of days of at the end of april to go touring and am looking for ideas.
I think that we will be based in la grave area and looking for straight forward easy-ish ski tours either a couple of day tours or a two day hut tour. 

I’ve been looking into Aiguille du Goleon, opposite la mejie.  Anybody been up that way or info on the normal route up? Or any other suggestions for good days out, guess it will all be high up now as looks fairly warm out there at the moment.

cheers,
Gordon

Posted: 08 April 2011 05:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-06-27

The col du lautaret would be better the north side still has some good snow on it but lots of tracks.
There is not much snow lower down so you either have to head to glaciers or north facing stuff. There is a guides office in la grave best to pop in and have a chat to them.

Posted: 11 April 2011 01:13 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes the main Combeynots are well tracked now but some of the more obscure variants may be better. Col de Laurichard is still possible but a lot of tracks, you need to time it right as it sees the sun.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Hautes-Alpes/Col-Du-Laurichard

and a GPS route with some waypoints

http://pistehors.com/pistehors/google-earth/Col-du-Lauteret.kmz

There is not much snow below 2000m on south facing slopes now. The Galibier is still closed.

Posted: 13 April 2011 01:07 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-11-20

Thanks for the tips, have maps and guidebooks now as well, busy planning! Looking forward to getting out there.

Posted: 13 April 2011 02:34 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Talking of the Aiguille du Goleon, I wonder if it will have enough snow to be practical?

Posted: 15 April 2011 08:55 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-18

Check out Skitour today. There’s a post of a traverse of the Aiguille de Goleon. Looks like a long walk in and the guys didn’t start skinning until 2600m! Otherwise not a bad descent according to the author............

I’m just back from LaG and there’s plenty of touring going on around and about. You’ll need to check with the various bureaux as to where the best options are when you actually arrive.

Pete