News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Black Diamond 2009 Boot Lineup
Posted: 18 January 2008 11:50 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

There’s been a lot of buzz on the web about Black Diamond’s 2008-2009 boot lineup. Here is the press release. We’ll post more info when we get to try them out.

Press information. Season F08
Reinach, Switzerland

Black Diamond Ski Boot: The Factor

A New Era In Freeride Ski Boots

With nine new models of Freeride-specific ski boots, Black Diamond is launching a completely new product line for the Winter 2008/2009. Modern freeride skiers have been waiting for boots like this, with the stiffness and power of an alpine boot for the descents and the comfort and function of a touring boot for the ascents. Black Diamond realized the needs of backcountry enthusiasts and began designing these boots from scratch, without the restrictions of present concepts and technologies. Black Diamond has been working on these boots for three years to fill this gap in the marketplace, and today presents this completely unique and independently developed collection, which consists of three touring boots and six telemark boots. The innovative “flagship” of this collection is the revolutionary freeride boot, the Factor.

The Factor is the stiffest Freeride Ski Boot in the Black Diamond Collection and, weighing in at just 4130 grams, it’s the ultimate combination of a touring boot and an alpine boot. It was designed for the modern cross-over skier who wants the access provided by a touring (or AT) boot, but also demands the uncompromising downhill performance that only an alpine boot can provide. With the Factors on your feet, you’ll never feel like you’re in the right place with the wrong boots again.

What’s the secret to not having to choose between downhill performance and uphill comfort? The three design criteria we’ve concentrated on are: Fit, Flex and Access to the Backcountry.

BD_Factor.jpg

The Fit of the Factor was developed from, as we say, the “ground up” and from “inside to outside”; from the sole to the cuffs and from the foot to the buckles, and with all the tools necessary forcustomization. The newly-derived Net Shape Fit Technology™ is based on the complete form of the foot, resulting in an instant “out of the box” performance with extra, individually-compatible elements. The removable and formable boot-board offers a level platform for the foot-bed and the liner and guarantees insulating warmth. The foot-bed is thermoformable and can be customized for individual fitting. The liner features a noncompacting, no-slip Strobeled sole as well as an internal reflective foil which serves as an excellent radiant thermal barrier. Another key to the incredible overall fit and comfort of these boots is the specially developed boot-liner material. The Black Diamond Foam is thermoformable and maintains long-term volume, without “packing out” like traditional foam liners. For the downhill, the Factor liner provides a solid cuff that holds the foot in place in all directions. And for the uphill, this liner will allow normal movement without fighting against a stiff tongue. The liner is held in place by the exclusive Boa Closure System, which offers the retention benefits and versatility of a lace liner, but without the hassle. With a few spins of the knob, you can micro-adjust the fit of the liner without having to change the outer buckles.

The true, progressive flex of the Factor comes from alpine ski-boot technology, and is only achievable from overlap shell construction. The triple-injection Triax Pro Frame™ provides, lightweight, progressive flex and the Pebax® shell material provides maximum torsional stiffness and lateral power transfer. The Factor’s non-mechanical, progressive flex rating of 130 offers stability and sensitivity to drive today’s modern, wide-bodied freeride skis. This type of precise feel is unobtainable with the mechanically-blocked flex patterns of traditional tongue construction boots.

The Factor provides uncompromising Access to the Backcountry, thanks to our innovative Ski and, Walk- modes. Three forward-lean options—14, 18 and 22 degrees—offer skiers a wider overall range with smaller increments to ensure individual preference. The patent-pending, innovative Walk-mode mechanism provides a 24° range of motion for resistance-free touring.

The Factor also offers a customizable Canting System for optimal cuff angles. The Factor will be delivered with alpine-style soles, but Dynafit-compatible AT soles are also available as accessories. Depending on the skiing circumstances, you can easily switch the two piece soles by hand by just changing a total of eight screws. The extremely grippy rubber of the AT soles was developed exclusively by Black Diamond, and has been proven by extensive testing to be more efficient in both wet and dry situations than any other rubber sole presently on the market. The Alpine soles adhere to the DIN Standards and provide a smooth, yet non-slippery, surface.

The Factor will be available in September 2008 in sizes 24-30.5, for a suggested retail price of 499,00 Euro. A total of nine new ski boots models will be included in the new Black Diamond Collection for the 2008/2009 Season. More information about the Black Diamond Boots is available in the charts below.

http://www.skibd.com/

bd-boot-specs.jpg

Posted: 21 January 2008 05:07 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

Interesting, I’m a fan of Black Diamond gear having an assortment including ice axes, rucksacks and skis, so I’m interested in what they’re doing. What I wonder is if this is the full range of boots? The use of the “Power” and “Efficient” label for the ranges maps to the ski range, with skis like the Zealot, Verdict, Havoc and Kilowatt taking the “Power” label and the Voodoos (which I have) and Stigmas taking the “Efficient” label, so I wonder if there’s an Efficient AT boot set missing? My experience trying some Endorphins on the Voodoos suggests the “Power” AT boots are likely to overpower the “Efficient” skis, I’ve found my Megarides to be a better match. So if there’s an “Efficient” tele’ boot do we get an Efficient AT boot?

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 24 January 2008 08:30 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24

Looks like I was right, according to WildSnow.com (http://www.wildsnow.com/?p=1017) there are some lighter AT boots coming along in 12 months, I guess they’ll be the missing Efficient boots I guessed about.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2008 11:38 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Good detective work Ian, you obviously saw the “gap” in the range. The touring boots are bit heavy for my taste - I’m already thinking my 3.4kg Spirit III’s could be a bit lighter and will be looking for some of the Dynafit sub 3kg boots for later in the season when we have approach walks and spring snow.

Still the BD boots would be good for some of the lift and hike tours. BD USA gets a lot more timely info to the US websites - they recognise this as an important communications channel. I have asked Colin in their La Grave Test Center for details of the new boot range in October but the info takes a long time to filter through.

Posted: 11 February 2008 09:52 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Skieur magazine have a Video review of the Faction (in French)

http://www.skieur.com/News/635-chaussures-black-diamond-2009.html

Posted: 02 March 2008 11:21 AM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24

good deals in BD skis at Telemark Pyrenees right now, free skins with all the skis which makes those kilowatts look very tempting grin

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2008 07:58 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

I will put a link to the Telemark Pyrenees sale,

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1&language=fr

they are a top outfit, good service and Neil and his team are very helpful. The Dynafit Gasherbrum looks like a good ski although my Sweet Daddies (from TP) have a good few years in them.

Posted: 07 March 2008 09:47 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

there are some great ski and boot promos at Conrad at the moment

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=28

snoop daddies for 200 euros, provided you are a midget grin

Posted: 15 March 2008 09:26 PM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-05-01

Conrad are currently selling off their Test Ranges. All sorts of kit on offer, all slightly used. I had some BD Poles from this promotion last year. Excellent value, still with the price tag attached.
http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?lang_id=ENG&disp=suchergebnis&suchanfrage=tt2008

Posted: 30 June 2008 04:32 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-01-04

There is probably a God after all. Endorphin MSGs got thrown after one week, previous Adrenalins lasted less and the Nordica TR10 one session. As a result the last 10 years have seen variously Tecnica TNT10s, Nordica Grand Prix and Nordica Speed Machine used as touring kit to ensure that the downhill is worth the up… It is also nice to know that the toe flange will definitely hold a front point - which these might.

Good to see that Neil and Rosie at Telemark Pyrenees are getting good plugs - even if they have defected to Tunisia to run their sales team!

Signature 

To ski or not to ski? There is no question...

Posted: 01 October 2009 03:25 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-01

It looks good. I’m actually looking forward to this.

Regards,
Bree
prêts travaux