This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Old chestnut number 2. Can one boot do it all?
Posted: 03 March 2011 07:56 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

I’m not long back from a trip to Verbier. I took my new Atomic Access with Marker Barons and my down hill boots (Salamon Impact 10s). I loved the skis and the bindings and after a bit adjustment of skins was able to get places away from the piste in search of soft if not new snow.

When the skis had to come off to negoiate a short rocky step or snowy ridge I really, really missed my Scarpa Spirits that I’d left at home. The lack of rearward lean that took some getting used to while skinning felt postively debilitating when walking, even when I used crampons for extra security. Of couse I know my batterd old Scarpas wouldn’t be as good on the descent.

I know its been discussed endlessly but as boot designers get smarter it just won’t go away. I look at something like the Black Diamond Prime; as stiff as my downhill boot but lighter than my Spirits, am I missing something or are we rapidly approaching the nirvana of boots that can tour but are as stiff as their downhill cousins?

Posted: 03 March 2011 08:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05

i hear some of the more hardcore scarpas are well received for bits of climbing and good descents

Posted: 04 March 2011 12:05 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-18

I ski with the Garmont Axon and think they work both ways

Posted: 04 March 2011 04:16 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-26

would stronglty suggest you look at the Black Diamond Factors - a good touring boot which can ski down anything. Given that it is a four buckle rather than three buckle boot, it is a little bit heavier than a pure touring boot - but still provides a very versatile option