News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Taking the next step
Posted: 18 February 2011 04:59 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-11-25

Hi guys,

I’m an alpine skier, wanting to tour in search of better downhill conditions and try something a bit different. I moved from the UK to Switzerland (Vaud) a year ago.

I’ve got some gear advice here, and am in the final stages of pulling the trigger.

What I need is an introduction to ski touring - the basics, the tricks, the safety.

Does anyone know of a day course in the area, or at the end of a reasonable commute from Lausanne.

I’ve seen a few week courses, but cannot really commit to that.

Failing that - any experiences to share of your first time skinning?

Signature 

Alpine skier, looking to start skinning.
Ski Reviews | Snowboard Reviews

Posted: 18 February 2011 05:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

One option would be to be hook up with a CAS (Club Alpin Suisse) group if you speak some French. Another is to join one of the groups a guides bureau sends out, for example at Zermatt http://www.alpincenter-zermatt.ch/welcome.html something like this day :

http://www.alpincenter-zermatt.ch/cms/output.php?id=50&cat_id=4&cat_id2=0&detail_id=43&currency=chf

that’s an easy tour providing you’ve some fitness and can ski down. My guess is you’ll be able to ski down already! And you’ll have worked out how to put skins on and off, engage climbing mode on the bindings and so on.

Or, drop me a note and we’ll see if we can hook up for a short day tour as I’m local to you.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 21 February 2011 08:57 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Ian, what are the hills that people tour to up behind Lausanne? I’ve seen photos of people night skiing with the lake and Lausanne behind.

Team Jacuzzi, if you know the, are from Lausanne University http://www.jaccuzzi.ch/, they must have some kind of ski touring group that maybe you could hook up with?

D.

Posted: 21 February 2011 09:04 AM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

That could be Les Pleiades although anything in the background is more likely to be Montreux and Vevey from there. There are some hills near Le Mont-sur-Lausanne as well, no doubt people do ski there if there’s snow.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 11 May 2011 05:08 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-11-25

How did I miss this!

David - thanks. Not sure hottubbing at the summit is my idea of fun, but worth a look.

Ian, again, thanks. I may well take you up on the offer of a day tour once I can do the basics as Leysin is so near. You’ve picked a lovely spot to setup business in, congratulations and good luck for the takeover.

Signature 

Alpine skier, looking to start skinning.
Ski Reviews | Snowboard Reviews