News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Mounting touring bindings
Posted: 10 February 2011 04:57 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Ok I want to mount a pair of Dynafit TLTs onto a pair of Volkl Massak skis. These skis are supposed to be 168cm but actually stand closer to 166cm (I guess they measure around the curve). The center line seems to be marked with a small ‘I’ on the sidewall.

Boots are Scarpa F3s, these have a 30cm sole and the boot center line mark is exactly in the middle of the boot sole.

If I measure the chord line, that is the straight line distance from tail to tip I get 166cm, half this gives me 83cm, but what does this tell me? Should I mount the dynafits with the center of the toes on the chord line (which would mean mounting 1cm back from the manufacturer’s center line)?

My temptation is to stick with what Volkl says but does anyone know about chord lines, ski centers etc and how they are determined?

Posted: 10 February 2011 08:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

I’ve always mounted my bindings to skis by lining up the ski centre line mark with that of the boot and it’s always worked. I know that some skiers play around with moving this slightly fore or aft and certain ski racing disciplines dictate such but you would have to be one pretty switched on or professional skier to notice much of a difference. I gather you do a lot of skiing though, so may well be in this categorysmile
I have practiced moving the boot fore and aft with a pair of rental skis fitted with fully adjustable alpine bindings and could not detect much difference until there was an extreme bias in either direction.
I am sure you will get many suggestions from engineers and racing ski technicians which I will follow with interest.
The best advice I can give is to ensure the fixing screws are bedded in epoxy.

Posted: 13 February 2011 03:43 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31

Maybe Lou Dawson’s website has some advice about this.

Or on one of the two big forums, I bet you could get some serious gear-heads to give you very specific contradictory advice.

Ken

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:49 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24
KenR - 13 February 2011 03:43 AM

Maybe Lou Dawson’s website has some advice about this.

Or on one of the two big forums, I bet you could get some serious gear-heads to give you very specific contradictory advice.

Ken

thanks for the advice Phil, I’m going to mount right on the line.

Yes I’m sure the armchair skiers of epicski would confuse me with a load of jargon. It is funny, you visit America and everyone speaks normally, you can understand what they are saying bar a few minor differences but visit a UScentric ski forum and you are on Planet Stash where they only speak fluent GNAR.

Lou would probably tell me the lateral torque of my skis is all wrong and they don’t have the right flex pattern and that I should drink holy kool aid from the shrine of the ancient goddess of Dyna.