This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Movement Spark Light, any comments?
Posted: 30 January 2011 05:43 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09

I am thinking of buying some of these and fitting them with dynafits. They will be used mainly for day tours, anyone used them, what are they like. I want a ski that will be light but with reasonable performance.

Posted: 30 January 2011 11:09 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-30

I have done 3 seasons in my Sparks and would not want anything else for lift served skiing. I am sure they would make a good day touring ski but it depends what you mean by light. There are obviously lighter skis on the market. I would classify the Sparks as a heavy touring ski but then again I am a weight weenie.

Posted: 31 January 2011 09:31 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-10-29

Petitbornand74, I think he means the “light” version of the Sparks:
http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/movement/spark-light.html

I also ski and day tour the normal Spark, but I don’t know the “light” version. Seems to be about 500 gramms lighter in all. I also wonder why they called it the “Spark Light”, since it’s not made from the same core, so I would also assume that it would not feel/ski the same.

Generally though, I love Movement products and would definitely like to try these.

Posted: 31 January 2011 09:45 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-30

Ah yes. I forgot about the light version. It depends what makes them “light” I suppose. They do have a wooden core though so I am sure they ski quite well. I tour on an old Sweet Daddy which has a synthetic core. They are great in soft snow, but pretty horrible on hard stuff. I would not buy anything with a synthetic core again.

When all said and done as long as you are fitter than your mates then you can day tour on anything grin

Posted: 31 January 2011 07:59 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-12-09

As the others have said the movements aren’t the lightest skis for touring and if you’re going down the Dynafit route then you are in a position to go very light. It kind of depends on your objectives. If weight isn’t the be all and end all, the movements are great skis, I have Gladiators with Fritchi freeride bindings, heavier yes, but great on the steeps and I have done long tours on them. I’m not sure I’d trust the dynafits on very steep stuff but that’s probably just me. I’m sure I’m wrong, but they just don’t seem as robust, and quite fiddly, though I have seen people move very fast on a light weight ski and dynafits. Don’t forget your boots have to be compatible for dynafits.

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:24 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-12-28

I’ve started using the Couloir for touring and am very impressed. A light setup by most standards and 89mm underfoot. Good edge grip - v important on those spring mornings and good flotation.

Posted: 01 February 2011 11:08 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I’ve heard of breakages with the Spark Light, not surprising given the ski weighs just 2450g for 82mm underfoot in 173cm but they seem to turn well, cope with most snow and give good grip on hardpack. Avoid cliff hucks though and maybe use some other skis for bumps!

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:20 AM   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09
davidof - 01 February 2011 11:08 PM

I’ve heard of breakages with the Spark Light, not surprising given the ski weighs just 2450g for 82mm underfoot in 173cm but they seem to turn well, cope with most snow and give good grip on hardpack. Avoid cliff hucks though and maybe use some other skis for bumps!

Thanks Davidof I am on red apples at the moment, and managed to break my first pair of those without any hucks, they were replaced foc but it I had to push a bit. Have you skied a pair?

Posted: 05 February 2011 01:38 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-18

Hi

There is no “Spark Light” in the 2010-11 line up

I’ve a pair of Sparks (2010-11) that I received at the end of last season (173 cm length / 82 mm underfoot), and that are mounted with TLTs

I am very happy with them as an all-around touring rig. Weight - wise they are fine with the TLT set-up, and they ski nicely across a range of snow types

Have you the opportunity to buy an older pair of Spark Lights perhaps?

Pete