This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Tell me about La Rosiere
Posted: 12 January 2011 12:46 AM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2008-11-16

I’ve scanned the forums and cannot find too much information about La Rosiere. It has the obvious attraction of access to La Thuile from where you can heliski, but I really cannot find much about the backcountry options surrounding La Rosiere.

I’m going with a bunch of people who probably arent interested in backcountry, but I would be keen to grab a guide and get out to see what’s on offer.

I’m sure some of you know the country around there so tips appreciated,

Thanks
Dan

Posted: 12 January 2011 01:01 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

It is very windy!

Seriously there are some good routes but they don’t seem to be on the website. I’ve just checked my google docs and I’ve a load of info on La Roz which I will post on the la Rosiere page tomorrow. Founded by the Arpin family who are still very present in the resort. I also recall that Boix-Vives of Rossignol fame has some interest in the area.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Bio/Laurent-Boix-Vives

Posted: 12 January 2011 09:00 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-30

I’ve been living and working in La Ros for 7 seasons.
There are lots of opportunities for touring, and many routes are seldom used - most of the visitors here are families who stick to the pistes.
There are high mountain guides at the ESF in La Rosiere, and Simon, the technical director of the ski school is an Englishman and keen ski tourer.
The heli skiing is obviously very weather dependent, due to the winds blowing in the col (snow kiting is very poular!)
It’s a small resort with a friendly atmosphere, and a reputation for good snowfall and sunshine!

Posted: 12 January 2011 11:58 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes Simon is a good guy, ESF not to be ignored as an option. I’ve put the info I collated on la Rosiere into the Wiki here:

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Savoie/La-Rosiere

feel free to update with any more recent details. I’ll update the photos and Arete des Ziteux route later. The photos were uploaded by someone else.

Posted: 15 January 2011 12:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-01-12

Search youtube for ‘amountainchalet’ to find a couple of ski touring videos flimed in the area. One was a trip up Mont Valaisan with a group from the Eagle Ski Club and the other a trip up to the Feduraz glacier.

Posted: 15 January 2011 06:48 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2008-11-16

Thanks for the tips guys.

And especially thanks David for updating the wiki especially. I will add some more info myself when I’ve been there in 2 weeks time

Posted: 26 January 2011 11:21 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

La Rosiere has announced plans to build a lift to the summit of Mont Valezan (2830 meters). This is partly motivated by the fact that the majority of skiers access the domain from the Italian side (better advanced skiing and better snow) so la Rosiere has to transfer 2 million euros per year to their Italian partners (based on lift usage).

As well as the environmental impact of more lift building this would change the character of the mountain with new pistes replacing off piste descents and much more skier traffic on the remaining off piste.

Here is the Valezan ski tour Tim mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbbObxl5Sw

[ Edited: 26 January 2011 11:26 AM by davidof]

Posted: 02 February 2011 06:11 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-02-02
davidof - 26 January 2011 11:21 AM

La Rosiere has announced plans to build a lift to the summit of Mont Valezan (2830 meters). This is partly motivated by the fact that the majority of skiers access the domain from the Italian side (better advanced skiing and better snow) so la Rosiere has to transfer 2 million euros per year to their Italian partners (based on lift usage).

As well as the environmental impact of more lift building this would change the character of the mountain with new pistes replacing off piste descents and much more skier traffic on the remaining off piste.

Here is the Valezan ski tour Tim mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbbObxl5Sw

Could you provide me with some more information?

Thank you very much

Matteo from La Thuile