News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

quick release ski poles?
Posted: 11 December 2010 06:22 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-18

Hi
Can anyone recommend the best backcountry ski poles(leki are the ones ive seen)with the quick release grip system?

Posted: 12 December 2010 01:44 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Get poles with FlipLock/SpeedLock type adjustments in any case (maybe something like the Khumbu AERGON or AERGON 2 SpeedLock in the Leki range. The “screw” adjusters don’t work as well and sieze up in cold weather and the speedlock systems grip better.

Black Diamond also seem to work quite well and are cheaper than Leki.

http://www.bergsskishop.com/black-diamond/adjustable-ski-poles-p3678c2076.html

although I normally use solid poles.

Posted: 12 December 2010 10:03 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-18

Thanks for the reply,took me a while to realise I’d asked the wrong question. I was looking for a recommendation on a rigid pole with a self releasing strap?

Posted: 12 December 2010 10:16 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Ok, I probably didn’t read your question closely enough. I had some Dynastar poles which did this, a plastic clip would open if you applied pressure. A good idea, I’ve got a damaged thumb from skiing with straps, has bits of titanium holding it together these days. I don’t have a suggestion but Leki have a good reputation.

I don’t use straps nowadays but they can be useful for a good, solid pole plant. I’d be interested to hear opinions.

Posted: 14 December 2010 11:57 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-18

Thanks,and by way of agreeing with your first reply I took a set of black diamond poles with the fliplock system to Baffin Island a couple of years ago and even in the extreme cold (albeit dry) there found them to be completely reliable.

‹‹ touring boots - help!      Dynafit vs. Diamir ››