This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

touring boots - help!
Posted: 08 December 2010 07:50 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-26

I am looking for some really tough touring boots which while OK for 4-5 hour climbs can also enable me to ski with confidence on challenging descents in any snow conditions - eg deep powder, nasty crud etc. . I have found the standard lightweight touring boots very flimsy in such conditions.

Also, would it be ridiculous to climb in my trusty heavy duty alpline boots (new top-of-the-range salomons)un-clipped? or would the extra weight involved make this an impractical option?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks for in advance!

Posted: 08 December 2010 08:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Hi Chas,

which models of touring boots have you already tried?

Posted: 08 December 2010 08:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09

Check out the Black Diamond Factors. They are not light but they do ski like a downhill boot.

Posted: 09 December 2010 12:03 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-12-09

Hi Chas
I can recommend the Garmont Endorphin. They don’t feel as stiff as a high end downhill boot but not too far off. Also if your thinking of climbing for 4/5 hours you’ll surely have blisters if you use your downhills unbuckled. I’ve tried and regretted it!!
Of course once you decide the ones you like, try them on for as long as you can before you buy.

Posted: 10 December 2010 12:14 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-11-29

Hi Chas, not sure what you’ve tried so far, but trying a bunch is the key.  Try as many different pairs of boots as you can, and go climb in them!  Try to find a demo program at a shop nearby, and after you find the boots you want, try to get a demo pair at the end of the season for half price wink FYI, I actually wear a woman’s boot, lowa struktura, because I have narrow heels, and they are lower profile and lighter which helps out with the climbing part of things.  I like the rubber soles and the lace up liners, because I can pull the liners out and use them as camp booties.  good luck!

Posted: 11 December 2010 05:11 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-10

Hi Chas

I’m just breaking in my new pair of Salomon Quest Pro’s. I’ve never had a touring boot before so I don’t have much to go on, but I’m really happy with them. The 110 flex offers enough support and the boot is very light (compaired to my previous alpine boots).

They are not dia-fit compatible, but would be a good match for Diamir, Marker, etc.