This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Mountain Weather Time Lapse Cam
Posted: 07 December 2010 01:35 AM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

This Brecon Beacons mountain webcam provides a good understanding of cloud build on even so called clear days.

Brecon Beacons Mountain Webcam

I know these are just hills in comparison to the Alps but we do get some snow too.

Posted: 07 December 2010 01:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-12-10

This is always worth looking at up in Tromso - near Lyngen Alps - plus hours of daylight make it interesting this time of year - and time lapse video in various configurations - very geeky!!

http://weather.cs.uit.no/

Posted: 07 December 2010 03:11 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Always fascinating, here’s one of a hotel being built

http://www.mooserwirt.at/de/home/webcam_vid1.html

bad luck if you bought the chalet behind.

I remember one of la Plagne where someone had taken a whole year of stills from their webcam. Anyone got a link?

Posted: 07 December 2010 08:25 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05
phil - 07 December 2010 01:35 AM

This Brecon Beacons mountain webcam provides a good understanding of cloud build on even so called clear days.

Brecon Beacons Mountain Webcam

I know these are just hills in comparison to the Alps but we do get some snow too.

lovely stuff,

are you from the area?

Posted: 10 December 2010 12:27 AM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-01-10

Davidof - I never realised it was so easy to build a Hotelwink

Olic - Yes, I live in south Wales but spend a bit of time in the Beacons, both Summer & Winter. Have not tried skiing them yet as all my kit is in the Haute Savoie.
Over the years I have brought much of the old stuff back but had a bit of a garage clean out (still looks like a tip) last year and it all went to the tip.
Now that wev’e had a bit of snow and I won’t be in the Alps until Xmas, I long to go touring in the Beacons - they do need a bit more snow though.
Have thought about using a kite to ease some of the trekking and add a bit of fun smile - watch this space.

This is a photo of one of my favourite places above Llyn Y Fan Fach the weekend before last -

IMAG0059.jpg height=383 width=640

There was a covering of about 50mm - very dry and powdery.

Posted: 12 December 2010 10:34 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05
phil - 10 December 2010 12:27 AM

Olic - Yes, I live in south Wales but spend a bit of time in the Beacons, both Summer & Winter. Have not tried skiing them yet as all my kit is in the Haute Savoie.
Over the years I have brought much of the old stuff back but had a bit of a garage clean out (still looks like a tip) last year and it all went to the tip.
Now that wev’e had a bit of snow and I won’t be in the Alps until Xmas, I long to go touring in the Beacons - they do need a bit more snow though.
Have thought about using a kite to ease some of the trekking and add a bit of fun smile - watch this space.

Well if my brother hadn’t broken his paramotor we could have got a lift up with him to the top and then come down. a kite sounds good to cover the gentle tops of all the moorland. muchos fun!

I walked around Hay Bluff last weekend and longed to be skinning up rather than walking.  I thought I could skin up on my good ski’s with junk ski’s on my back, then swap at the top and come down. or even on some old shitty blades…

i think it might be going soon, but maybe back this weekend?

from xmas onwards are you out in france for the rest of season?

Posted: 12 December 2010 10:46 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-01-10

Hi Olic
Yes, any snow that was on the Beacons has long gone but it won’t be too long before it’s back.
As far as France is concerned, then I wish. No, I will be ther with friends and family for the New Year and then back and forth for long weekend several times through the season - work get’s in the way!

Posted: 26 March 2011 12:51 AM   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-01-10

Think that’s our lot for this year!

Llyn Y Fan Fach last Sunday.

IMAG0169.jpg

[ Edited: 26 March 2011 12:53 AM by phil]

Posted: 27 March 2011 03:13 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Wow, it looks really dry, like the Asian step.