News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

1 of 2
La Clusaz tips?
Posted: 01 December 2010 12:54 PM  
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-22

I’ve got a few days in La Clusaz in February, does anyone have any tips for exploring the off piste? E.g. Areas to look at (I’ve heard the Balme is the best bet), any guides or ski schools in the area worth looking at, places to find info etc. I’ve never skied the area before so any tips gratefully received!

[I’ll probably cross post to another forum, so apologies if you get deja vu!]

Posted: 01 December 2010 12:59 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Good choice, I’ve got a ton of info for la clusaz, some of the stuff is quite avalanche prone in the wrong conditions. I will look through my folders and see what I can post later.

Posted: 01 December 2010 03:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-26

La Clusaz is an excellent, but rarely credited, backcountry resort.

There are many off-piste opportunities easily accessible from the lifgt system - eg Le Col de Borderan (from the top of L’aiguille lift), all around La Balme (particularly on La Torchere side), under the trees beneath La Cret du Loup; under L’Etale lift etc.

Next there are some excellent itineries (many with vertical descents of over 1000m) which require 30-60 mins bootpacking - eg La Col de Bella Cha (over the top left hand rim of La Balme bowl), La port des Aravis (great itinerary over the top right hand ridge above la Torchere drag - sector Balme), La Croix (above L’Aiguille chair) and above L’Etale lift - (which goes over into le col de Merdassier).

Finally for the energetic, there are some excellent tours - starting from the hamlet of Le Confins up into the cols, over the top and down the other side - eg La Trou de Mouche (c.1200m ascent). Over in Le Grand Bornand (where I have a chalet) there is also some stunning touring to be done (Le Roc du Tours, L’Aiguille vert, La Jalouvre - all abouve Le Chinaillon) and a large number of options above Le Col Des Annes (L’Almet, and from the top of Les Annes lift - where you hike up into Les Aravis to the slopes around Point Percee).

Re the bootpacking and touring intineraries it is (obviously) essential to take a guide given there are some fearsome cliff drops in la Clusaz and some areas which are avalanche hot spots (I tragically witnessed last season the death of a 21 year old local who went over a cliff in a white-out whilst tree skiing).

The La Clusaz ESF, ESI and the bureau des guides all offer guides. I have skiied with Avaris Challenge - who were excellent, so they would be my strong recommendation. details below:

ARAVIS CHALLENGE
Tél. : 04 50 02 81 29
Mob : 06 70 06 49 35
Mail :
Web : http://www.aravis-challenge.com

Enjopy this stunning part of Haute Savoie!

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Thanks for the excellent summary Chas.

This was some ski touring we did in la Grand Bornand

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Haute-Savoie/Grand-Bornand-Off-Piste

and from the top of la Clusaz the Trou de la Mouche

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/100/ (you will need skins)

Image4.jpg height=450 width=600

I also toured to the Ambrevetta and Tete de Paccaly with KenR who posts here sometimes.

There is some tree skiing off the Massif de Beauregard. Most is pretty obvious stuff back down to les Tollets under the cable car etc. You need a good depth of snow. Great when the conditions are too marginal higher up.

I think the Col de Borderan is where you climb up above the Aiguille chair in a south-east direction (following the summer trail - get an IGN 1:25000 map) to access the Borderan valley. You can also ski north into the Combe de Ferney from here. Holds its powder well. Both runs you need to be experienced or go with a local instructor or guide.

[ Edited: 01 December 2010 04:21 PM by davidof]

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-22

Thanks guys, this is really great info. Looks like I landed on my feet with La Clusaz - to be honest the main criteria when I planned the trip was fast access from Genevasmile

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:48 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

They’ve improved the motorway access at Bonneville, Chas can probably tell you more. Always check in advance that the road is open that way otherwise go via Annecy.

Posted: 01 December 2010 05:19 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-22

Actually I was going to book a transfer minibus or something similar, only there for a few days so no need of a car.

Posted: 02 December 2010 08:27 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-19

(Straight up disclaimer - I live in the Aravis and work for a small independent tour operator here so have a vested interest in singing its praises.)

Excellent info here already…

I can re-emphasise the reputation of Aravis Challenge, I’ve not used them myself but all of our guests who’ve had lessons or guiding with them have come back with glowing reports.

Definitely don’t disregard the possibility of a day in Le Grand Bornand - it’s just 10 minutes by ski bus from La Clusaz and has some excellent edge of resort off-piste, and on blue sky powder days is much less frequented by powder hounds (the Balme sector of La Clusaz gets pretty packed on these sorts of days). In cold conditions with light snow down to village level the descent from col de Chatillon to the vallee de Bouchet is a fun wooded route. The route under the col des Annes chairlift is an excellent pillow line given enough fresh snow.

You do need a seperate lift pass for le Grand Bornand, however you can buy an Aravis pass for a few tens of euros more than a La Clusaz one which covers the whole region.

Another couple of areas worth a look in La Clusaz are the woods under the Juments 2000 lift, to the right of the pistes linking the Aiguille and Etale sectors, and the Bois de la Motte, which is accessed by dropping left off the Fernuy piste before it opens out under the lift of the same name. Both areas can lead you into very dense forest if you don’t take the right exit, so once more a guide would be advised.

Finally, as you’re looking for a transfer between the Aravis and Geneva I’ll drop a cheeky mention of our transfer only service via http://www.aravis-transfers.com , and in the interests of fairness another local operating transfer company is http://www.aravistours.co.uk , you may find prices with either us or them to be better than the larger French Alps-wide companies.

There are also coaches, for an even cheaper option, 3 times a day from GVA to La Clusaz, but only on Friday through Sunday.

Posted: 02 December 2010 12:46 PM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-22

Thanks for the info on transfers, you’ve just got yourself some customgrin

Posted: 02 December 2010 01:03 PM   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31
chas - 01 December 2010 03:32 PM

La Clusaz is an excellent, but rarely credited, backcountry resort.

Perhaps you mean “rarely credited” among English-speakers. I don’t think the qualities of La Clusaz and the Balme are any secret to local Geneva and Annecy skiers. (My experience on a fine powder day: The marked Out Of Bounds area was tracked up within minutes after they opened the upper lift which accessed it. I was doing it by climbing up on skins - still enjoyed the that descent even after it was all tracked out).

Note that the obvious boot over the Col to skiers right from the top of the Balme lifts is not trivial on the other side (and likely not always safe).

chas - 01 December 2010 03:32 PM

there are some excellent tours - starting from the hamlet of Le Confins up into the cols

Which is not lost on the local French and Genevoise tourers. An amazing number of couples seem to be able to take the day off from work and drive to the Confins parking as soon as the latest snowfall stabilizes a bit.

Some claim that the Tete Pelouse tour is even more crowded than one notoriously popular tracked out “couenne” by Grenoble ("pire que la Jasse” is the phrase I heard and read). I know one local skier who told me prefers to climb up the touring Combe below Trou de la Mouche, then descend the adjacent one accessed by lift-served bootpackers—because the lift-assisted “sidecountry” valley is often less tracked than the pure backcountry.

David and I made sure to start our tour by traversing to one of the Combes farther out.

Ken

[ Edited: 02 December 2010 01:21 PM by KenR]

Posted: 02 December 2010 11:12 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

David and I made sure to start our tour by traversing to one of the Combes farther out.

That was a good plan it is was obvious when we finished that the number of climbers depended on the distance from the parking. I don’t remember the details but suspect we decided to head further out for exactly that reason. It was a good day apart from my non-sticking skin.

La Jasse is deserted these days, the access road collapsed above Prabert and it may be “years” before it is repaired… given the cash strapped French state this probably means never. As the road is in the same commune as the 7 laux there is a theory that they want to discourage ski tourers for an eventual development of the valley. Seems far fetched but Ste Foy is aimed to develop the Vallon du Clou, Montgenevre has received permission to build lifts to the summit of the Chaberton and Val d’Isere wants to develop lift access from the Maurienne.

Posted: 04 December 2010 06:55 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-19

An amazing number of couples seem to be able to take the day off from work and drive to the Confins parking as soon as the latest snowfall stabilizes a bit.

3 cheers for the French work / life balance-ethic!

Posted: 30 December 2010 09:36 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-30

Excuse me for hijacking this post, but I would very much appreciate if any of you guys know of any potential ski touring partners in the Aravis? I live in Petit Bornand (20 mins from La Clusaz )all year round and ski touring is my raison d’être. I enjoy the company of people who love spending time in the mountains and enjoy an adventure. I rate enthusiasm and sense of humor over experience.

If you know of any folks out there in a similar position I would really appreciate it if you would put me in touch.

Many thanks

Ryan

Posted: 31 December 2010 12:28 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Hi Ryan,

Hopefully someone will read this and get in touch, otherwise have you tried posting to skitour.fr? They also have an Agenda where you can post for partners on specific days/weeks

http://www.skitour.fr/membres/agenda.php

Posted: 31 December 2010 09:09 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-30

Thanks for that. Yes I am an avid skitour.fr user, but have not found the partner section? This is probably because my French is still rubbish. I will try harder!

Posted: 31 December 2010 09:24 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-26

Ryan
I am based in Le Chinaillon/Le Grand Bornand for part of the season - a few kms as the crow flies from where you are and often am looking for touring partners for excursions around the region (Les Aravis, La Tournette, Les Bornes etc). When I am next heading out I will get in touch.

1 of 2