News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Mountain bike tubes and tires
Posted: 07 June 2009 09:55 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

took a trip to Decathlon to buy a new rear tire for my mountain bike. I settled on a Michelin Cross Country Mud (570 grammes - 12euros 90 c) and Michelin Aircomp Ultra light inner tube (170 grammes). However I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions for next time? There is quite a big difference in weights between tires and tubes.

Posted: 08 June 2009 11:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2005-05-06

Tyre choice is like ski choice. Do you want fast and light or heavy/reliable with performance? For XC riding you’ll want a lighter combination run at higher tyre pressures (like your choice). If you will be using lifts and doing more descending go for a heavier combination (twice the weights you are quoting) and run a lower pressure (This generally gives better grip).

Given the choice (and in fact I often use cast offs from my guests) I tend to buy Maxxis tyres - a High Roller 2.3” with “normal” rubber compound, I use these in the season when the lifts are open. I have a full suspension mountain bike and can ride fairly quickly, reliability and grip are super important to me. It’s very embarrassing when the guide punctures!I go a bit lighter (and with less rolling resistance) for the out of season peddling.

Don’t forget tyre width, a mud tyre is generally quite narrow - it “cuts” through the mud thanks to the higher ground pressure. A higher volume tyre is more puncture resistant (but is slower to pedal).

You can’t win!

Use what you have, if you puncture a lot then you’ll need to either

1. Slow down
2. Ride lighter
3. If you can’t or won’t do either of the above up the air pressure or buy a higher volume or heavier tyre or inner tube.

Signature 

http://www.alpine-property.com

Posted: 10 June 2009 01:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Hmmm I’m probably quite focussed on uphill performance grin. It was just that I hit a rock on my favourite single track behind the house and as well as dinging the rim I blew out the tire. I know I should have looked in a serious bike store like Routens in Grenoble

http://www.routens.com/

but didn’t have much time. Decath didn’t have much choice. I can see that if you are using lifts then the more volume the better and weight is not too important. Interesting about mud tires - we get a lot of serious mud in the Chartreuse and I pretty much avoid the area after a wet period as it is very sticky stuff (a lot of clay I imagine).

Like you I’ve got some cast offs but they are round the 700 gramme range and I’m always trying to keep rolling resistance down.

Posted: 03 August 2009 10:47 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05

michelins are terrible tyres, i had one once, for a couple of months. never again!

do you have a mondo velo near by. there is one in albertville. otherwise just look for a good local independent bike shop. they will provide good advice.  as good as decathlon is for prices and quality of clothing.  i bought 6 pairs of socks and tube for bang on 10euros a few days ago! and there rockrider shorts are best pair ive ever owned, there proper equipment is not so good.

my two favourite brands are
maxxis (as mentioned) and continetal.  maxxis more so for downhill related stuff and and conti;s for XC.  though i currently have a schwalbe racing ralph on the back of my XC bike.  2.0 inch wide so comfortable but not too big, very light weight (tubeless) and rolls well.  and its not too bad in the mud.

endless ride, are you in the portes de soleil? i had two days there a few days ago.  man! the braking bumps!!!!

Posted: 25 October 2010 04:48 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-10-25

Yeah wherever you buy you will find some difficulties in purchasing them or in carrying. If you are looking to buy quality tires and tubes of mountain bikes you will find them in kenda USA which famous for this things and moreover you can order them online and get them at home just by spending few amount of money.

Signature 

mephisto