This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

BCA Alpine Trekkers vs Fritschi Explore/Freeride
Posted: 28 December 2007 04:27 PM  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-05-01

I’m just starting to get kitted out for easy ski tours, and want to choose the right kit. Of the options above, which way should I head? I want to keep my AT skis, but could fit a Fritschi binding and continue to use my Alpine ski boot.

I have been invited to consider the BCA Alpine Trekker which would be a really economic way of starting out. The downside of this is their weight, the apparent height that I would then be above my alpine bindings, plus plenty of anecdotal web commentary about bits breaking on the Trekkers.

Does anyone have any strong opinion for or against any of this kit?

Posted: 28 December 2007 11:00 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

It is true that you can tour in ski boots - some of the classic descents in the alps were done on alpine kit. The trekkers fill a certain niche, I understood that BCA was going to stop making them. They are not the most practical kit for the reasons you outline. I don’t think you can fit a ski crampon either. I think you would be better putting the money towards touring bindings if you are planning more than a couple of tours per year, or doing any kind of vertical.

My temptation would be to go for the Fritschis, maybe the Naxos or even the Marker Duke. All should work fine with alpine boots - but you will need a boot that you can open right up to flex your ankle in otherwise climbing will be hard work. I hesitate to suggest the Silvretta Pure, I like the binding but I think the other options are more robust if you are looking for a single quiver setup.

In conclusion I don’t think you will go too far wrong with either the Fritschi Explores or Freeride Plus bindings.

Posted: 29 December 2007 11:12 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-01

I would like to get my kit set up with the minimum of outlay for the first winter. I will keep my alpine boots, but expect to look for a Garmont or similar next time round. I don’t believe that I’ll be into doing any hut to hut, or lengthy tours, simply days out, away from the lifts, so the kit that I choose will need to be fun on piste as well. I hesitate to use “one quiver” as I have other skis to use.

I had not read that BCA were planning to stop making the Trekker, useful thanks. They apparently make a specific crampon for the system, which is sold alongside. I’m going to cross the Trekker off my list.

I’m hesitating over your suggestion of the Marker Dukes, as I have read that they are pretty heavy, and also are for higher range DIN than I would want to use, typically 5-7 with my weight. I understand that the Naxo’s have a better ascent hinge than the Fritschi’s, it reads as pretty complicated, has there been any reports of this failing? Is it robust enough for alpine use?

The Fritschis are very popular. I’m looking more favourably towards the Explore, as I don’t need the higher DIN, the current model has a new slippery Teflon covered front release plate, and the binding sits the boot 35mm above the ski, whereas the Freeride is 39mm height.

Posted: 02 January 2008 10:31 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The early Naxo’s had some problems with the Nx01.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/naxo-binding-woes/
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Naxo-Nx01

but I’ve not heard any bad reports of the newer models.

I heard about the Trekker from the rumour mill, it may not be true or it may be just that it won’t get imported into France. I think it is a useful device, especially for people who just want an introduction to touring. To be confirmed.

The Dukes are heavy, there is no ski crampon on this years model. The ascent hing on the Naxo does allow for an easier stride and they are easier to make “conversion” or “kick-turns”. However as you can see in the above link complication is more fragile.

I have a pair of skis with the Fritchi Titanal II binding which have had a lot of abuse both in resort and out. The explore is an updated version of this binding and I don’t think you will go far wrong.  They will be fine with alpine boots.

Posted: 13 February 2008 02:22 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-01

I ended up ordering the Fritschi Freeride+. By the time I had added in the cost of the brake on the Explore, the price was practically the same.
The only item I’m missing now, is the return spring on the Freeride+. Valuable or optional extra?