This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Dynafit binding maintenance
Posted: 28 January 2008 05:04 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-28

I bought some Dynafit boots and bindings (Vertical FT ) last year. They are fantastic! I only used them for a couple of weeks touring but am interested in finding out how to prepare them for this season. I live in the Uk and can’t find any dealer or service centre that knows anything about them.
Do I need to service them? Is there anything that I can do myself or should I wait until I’m next in France and leave them with the professionals?

Posted: 28 January 2008 05:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple of pairs of Dynafits - about 250,000 meters of vertical on them. The most I do is spray the moving parts with chain grease while they are laid up over the summer. I’m assuming this will have no affect on the few plastic bits.

I would definitely check the boot to heel gap if you can - 6mm for the Vertical FT I believe. Dynafit have little spacers to check this distance and it is not easy to do this without them. If it is too wide it can lead to pre-releases and too narrow no releases :-(. Check the DIN settings too, especially if you backed them off over the summer.

It is worth looking over the plastic bits for any hairline cracks. The main Dynafit weaknesses are the locking lever at the front and the ski crampon plate although you should have the metal reinforced plate on the FT.

Apart from that they are pretty much service free. I know people who have 15 year old Dynafits and have never touched them.

Posted: 02 February 2008 05:54 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31

A source with lots of detailed ideas about using Dynafit bindings is Lou Dawson on
www.wildsnow.com

Ken