Powered by Google™

Garmont develops own Tech insert
Posted: 04 May 2010 09:55 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

GARMONT introduces new proprietary Tech Inserts in 2011 ALPINE TOURING BOOTS

—A major innovator in alpine touring boots, Garmont is pleased to introduce its own proprietary “Tech Inserts” for fall 2010.

Since introducing the Tech system in its alpine touring boots in 2000, Garmont has exclusively featured Dynafit-manufactured Tech Inserts.  The program was hugely successful, as the combination of Garmont performance and Dynafit binding compatibility provided exceptional results for lightweight ski touring. 

DSCN0980.jpeg

With the January 1, 2010 expiration of Dynafit’s patent on the design, Garmont has embraced the opportunity to bring a superior Tech Insert to the marketplace:  one that is specifically manufactured to support the increasing number of skiers turning to the system for aggressive freeride performance as well as lighter ski touring.

DSCN0982.jpeg

“We chose to develop our own Tech Insert as soon as we could, knowing that we could improve upon the quality and consistency of the current product,” said Paul Parker, Garmont Ski product manager “We feel that elevating the standard for Tech Inserts is essential, as the use of alpine touring systems has rapidly evolved from predominately light touring to aggressive freeride skiing.”

The new Garmont Tech Inserts are the culmination of two years of research and product development and extensive field testing.  Built from the highest quality die-cast steel alloy, the material construction of Garmont Tech Inserts has been meticulously researched, tested, and proven to be equal or superior to all other inserts on the market today.

Garmont’s proprietary Tech Insert design is based on the “Standard Insert” template, clearly the most robust and versatile option available.  A primary benefit of the “Standard Insert” over the “Quick Step-In” design is additional room for more sole rubber—providing better abrasion resistance in a zone which is particularly vulnerable in a rigid-sole boot, while still satisfying the ISO Touring norm.  The “Standard Insert” is also smooth-sided, as the ISO Touring Norm calls for no protrusions beyond the sides of the sole for full compatibility with step-in bindings. 

In Garmont’s design, the thickness and perimeter for the Tech Insert’s fixation are identical to the well-proven “Standard Insert” to assure optimum retention. The “cones” of the interface have been improved as well, with thicker material adding more durability.

DSCN0976.jpeg

The new Tech Inserts will be guaranteed by Garmont, based on rigorous testing for life-cycle durability, safety and performance, using machinery and testing procedures that far exceed all anticipated industry standards. The Garmont testing procedure was established early in the product development process, with the development of a proprietary testing machine: “Hannibal 2”.  Unlike conventional tests, Hannibal 2 operates both in transverse and longitudinal axes with an elliptical motion that better simulates the imperfect nature of a walking stride.  The machine loads the toe of the boot with 150 Kg to simulate the additional stresses of freeride skiing. During the walking motion Hannibal’s excessive pre-load more than doubles the 100,000-cycle life-cycle test as, unlike walking, the insert is loaded during both the forward and rearward motion.

DSCN0978.jpeg

Garmont Tech Inserts will be available for 2011 in all Garmont Tech-compatible ski mountaineering boots.

Posted: 06 May 2010 07:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2006-03-05

Seems Salomon hasn’t followed as a stringent path… http://www.wildsnow.com/2888/salomon-quest-tech-fittings-failure/

Posted: 06 May 2010 09:18 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes you can see quite a difference between the Salomon insert and the Garmont in terms of metal around the holes. I guess Salomon hoped that ones the fitting was sandwiched in the boot sole the boot material would hold it together? I’d be interesting to know the back story to the Salomon fittings.

Posted: 07 May 2010 06:10 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

That’s interesting, on my old Megarides the toe inserts are badly degraded. Something to do with where I use the boots I think but I think bits of grit and rock have damaged the holes to the degree that it’s difficult in walk mode not to kick the ski off. The binding is fine, I can feel an instant difference with the new Outriders I have and the ski is firmly locked in walk mode.

Hopefully the new inserts will wear a bit better, my Megarides are a bit battered but otherwise still in reasonable nick.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:35 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

The front inserts are in a pretty vulnerable place, especially if your routes include climbing or a lot of approach work. Have you got a photo of the inserts? I’d be interested to see how worn they are.

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:44 AM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 10 May 2010 11:35 AM

The front inserts are in a pretty vulnerable place, especially if your routes include climbing or a lot of approach work. Have you got a photo of the inserts? I’d be interested to see how worn they are.

I left the boots up at the chalet, I’ll probably be back next week and take a snap.

I think part of the problem has been getting small bits of grit and rock into the inserts as well and then not cleaning them out. I *think* then using them in climbing mode means you’re just abrading the inserts. I did notice that one time I’d picked up some sort of dust in the insert that seemed to set like cement and I needed to use a bradle to get it out, in that case though I could see by eye the binding wasn’t seating properly. I think that was some sort of alluvial dust from walking out somewhere maybe.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland