News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Mammut Pulse Barryvox Service Help
Posted: 10 May 2010 11:07 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-06-10

Hi

I have one which on the last trip of the season had a “457 send failure” and in the manual it says I should send back for servcing. On the Website it gave a german address but no explantion of the procedure for sending back. I have sent a request to theit contact email but to no avail.

Anyone got any advice/ experience on what to do?!

Thanks

Brian

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:21 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Where are you based? Normally there should be an importer in your country that handles returns rather than sending back to Germany.

Posted: 10 May 2010 12:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

we’ve seen that on our pulses, if it persists you should certainly send it back

However, it might not be too serious. I asked myself how the unit knew it was failing to send and I concluded it was a loopback style test at or near start-up time. It was only happening to my girlfriend and once I’d removed/relocated her mobile phone it stopped. So, it looks to me like an effect of interference on a receiving (not transmitting) transceiver. Is it possible this was your problem? You should note it’s not confined to mobile phones, other electronic devices and metal object in just the wrong place will have the same problem.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 10 May 2010 03:16 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-02-28

ise is correct about the interference.

Commonly this is caused by home electronic equipment like wireless broadband, pc or phone.

If the problems persists even when you are in the garden then it’s time to be more suspicious.

If your in the UK then Mammut UK will handle your problem, although all they do is post it to Mammut Europe for servicing. We returned a unit to them recently with this fault that was replaced under warranty even though it was being used as a terrier locator and had not been very well looked after.

[ Edited: 10 May 2010 03:18 PM by Stu - Facewest]
 Signature 

Stuart - Facewest

Posted: 10 May 2010 05:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-06-10

Thanks Guys

Checked for interferance still same problem.  Also keen not to take any chances!

Just emailed you guys at FaceWest before I read your reply - cheers

Brian

Posted: 12 May 2010 04:10 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2005-05-26

I have had the same problem on some units at my work which seem to have stopped with the new firmware update Version 3 which Mammut Eu did.  They are very good and the contact I used was a Helmut Winkler.

Signature 

http://www.crankitupgear.com
http://crankitupgear.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 May 2010 04:16 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-02-28

We have the ability to do Firmware updates at Facewest. Not just for Barryvox Pulse but for Pieps DSP and Ortovox S1 as well.

The particular unit I was referring too actually developed the fault after an update. Almost as if it’s upgraded ability to test itself lead to it failing the test. Anyway as I said Mammut replaced it straight away.

Signature 

Stuart - Facewest

Posted: 12 May 2010 04:16 PM   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24
Davy Gunn - 12 May 2010 04:10 PM

I have had the same problem on some units at my work which seem to have stopped with the new firmware update Version 3 which Mammut Eu did.  They are very good and the contact I used was a Helmut Winkler.

Interesting, I was pretty sure this was a new issue from firmware version 3.0 in our case. It wasn’t happening to me at all and I tend to label our units as my personal one gets more days usage, the one my partner was using has a fair amount of use but most days on snowshoes where she’s not wearing the same clothes and pockets with phones and chaff in them are located differently from skiing. This seemed to be happening skiing only.

What I ought to have noted above was than even when the error message appeared when I did a check using my own pulse in receive there was nothing wrong with the other unit.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland