News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Satisfactory season for French ski areas
Posted: 13 April 2010 10:40 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Herve Novelli, French Secretary of State for Tourism has said that the winter season for ski resorts has been “satisfactory”, similar to the very good 2008-2009 season. Mr Novelli was citing the results of a TNS Sofres inquiry for Atout France. The report say visitor numbers were up but they spent less, in part due to poor weather which reduced lift pass sales. He sais 2010 was a year of recovery after a 2009 season marked by the lack of foreign visitors.

According to figures released by the Ministry of Economy hotel bookings were down 4.9% in 2009 compared to 2008. There were 1.4% fewer French guests and 11% less overseas visitors.

Posted: 14 April 2010 08:53 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-06-02

In a longer term I am sure that overseas visitors are looking for better alternativ than France. Prices in more known resorts are much too high. Italy has at tahe moment much better value for money.
Gunnar

Posted: 14 April 2010 01:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Italy also has less crowds during February.

My bugbear at the moment is the cost of kids lift passes. A 5 year old isn’t going to ski much so I find the price disproportionate. I don’t mind paying 30 Euros to ski on my own for the day because I will probably ski from lift opening to dusk and cover 10,000+ meters. The 40+ euros charged for a day pass in one of the big resorts is a lot of money (maybe not for American visitors though). I guess the resorts want to discourage day trippers and predicate their offering around the well heeled foreign guest who will stay on a week on week basis.

I’m surpised Novelli only found the figures “satisfactory” given that last year was a record for skier/days. If resorts do as well this year it will be amazing. Will wait to see the true figures though. My sources tell me the Northern Alps have only had an ok season with restaurants hit hardest.