News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Dynafits in ‘tele’ mode.
Posted: 21 February 2010 03:46 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-07

Hi there,

Being new to Dynafits this season, I find that the main downside is the need to take off the ski in order to switch between downhill and tour mode. As a result I find that on undulating terrain I tend to leave the binding in the tour mode on short downhill sections where, with my old Silvretta binding, I would have locked the heel down.

My question is, given that using the binding in such a ‘telemark’ mode must place loads on the binding it was not designed to take, is it likely that I will end up ripping the toe-piece out of the ski? Just just how careful do I need to be when doing this? (With pack my all up weight is about 90 kg). Also, when the binding is fully locked into the ‘tour’ mode can it release at all, and if so what so of approximate ‘Din’ load is needed for this to happen? Do others regularly use a Dynafit binding in such a ‘telemark’ mode? If so can you offer any tips/ advice / the benefit of your experience? Can the locking lever be simply pushed to a ‘half way’ position in order to allow it to release if excessive torque is applied to it, but still keep the ski attached to the boot enough to make gentle turns?

Thanks!

Posted: 22 February 2010 06:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Hi Bob

> My question is, given that using the binding in such a ‘telemark’ mode must place loads on the binding it was not designed to take, is it likely that I will end up ripping the toe-piece out of the ski?

No I don’t think so. If it was correctly fitted the binding will release before you rip out the toe piece.

> when the binding is fully locked into the ‘tour’ mode can it release at all

Yes it can still release. I’ve tested this in a fall but it fracture my ankle before releasing

> what so of approximate ‘Din’ load is needed for this to happen?

I don’t know but probably something like 30-50!

> Do others regularly use a Dynafit binding in such a ‘telemark’ mode?

Yes, quite reguarly for short downhill sections, if you keep you heels down in the rear “cup” I don’t think you will over torque the binding, the heel won’t move that much. Rando racers descend short sections like this the whole time.

> Can the locking lever be simply pushed to a ‘half way’ position in order to allow it to release if excessive torque is applied to it, but still keep the ski attached to the boot enough to make gentle turns?

I know the moderator Bubu of CamptoCamp.org climbs like this (he says due to avalanche risk) but I’ve never managed to be gentle enough with my skinning to achieve this. However you could probably descend like this if you keep your heels seated in the heel piece.

Posted: 22 February 2010 06:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-07

Hi David,

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply and I hope that your ankle fully recovered. I guess those Dynafit bindings are a lot tougher than they might look.

Posted: 24 February 2010 05:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-24

Hmm, well the Dynafit are pretty durable, the issue is probably not that you will rip the toepiece out, but that it will break from a force that it was not designed for, I have quite a few examples of peoples toe-pieces breaking from teleing, nevertheless I do “teli” on them quite often, but I am also an accomplished “telier” that have converted to locked-down heel skiing…
If you are on a long tour is it probably a good idea to have an extra toe piece since it is really light but not easily repairable. If you do not have an extra, be super-cautious when skiing downhill without the heel locked down.

Stay frosty!

Posted: 25 February 2010 11:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2006-03-05

Free your heel to stop wondering if it should be stuck or not wink The definitive answer is… go telemark with telemark bindings and shoes!
You can also make parallel turns with that equipment if you like. Not to mention the occasional dive head first in the snow, very refreshing!
Try and you will believe!

Posted: 28 February 2010 11:05 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-02-28

Check out this short vid on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqBaHPcgtAM

It shows a guy changing to walk mode without removing his boot by moving the heel piece on the release springs. Might need some playing about to work out the exact movement but it can be done.

However, like a lot of people, I use the sat right back, straight line with skins on technique. It’s not pretty but functional. If that seems too risky for the situation you can still ski locked down with your skins on.

Signature 

Stuart - Facewest

Posted: 28 February 2010 12:43 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The quick release trick is good and that is the best film I’ve seen of it. Some people attribute this move to Andrew McClean, don’t know if there is any truth in that or maybe the Americans are just better at publicising these things?