Powered by Google™

1 of 2
Scott Crus´Air 2009 vs. Scott Crus´Air 2012
Posted: 29 January 2010 06:14 PM  
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-29

Hi everyone,

just joined the board. Thinking about changing the gear/suit bit and need some advice/guidance.

Having spent most of past 25+ winters doing “classic” randonee/skimountaneering, my actual gear lists Fischer X-treme Skis 170cm (2008 model), Dynafit TLT 4 boots and TLT Speed bindings/brakes. Short, compact curves at moderate speeds - that’s my style (feel free to browse to my website at http://www.surfacehippy.cz). Mostly off-piste, once/twice a season riding pistes in France/Austria.

Now thinking like going wider, faster, more open at curves (and a bit more “free")… smile

Topping my list of favourites:

Skis: Scott Crusair 176 (seconded by Scott Crusade 179 - both 2010 models)
Bindings: Dynafit Vertical FT12
Boots: Garmont Radium G-fit (seconded by Dynafit Zzeus TF)

Any comments/thoughs/hints/pros/cons to my choice (especially to the skis themselves in relation to my actual gear/skills) will be sincerely welcome. Thanks.

[ Edited: 06 April 2013 12:47 PM by pavproch]

Posted: 30 January 2010 11:12 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I was looking at the Scott Crusair in my local ski supermarket (Espace Montagne in Grenoble) where they sell it as a freerando ski. It is an amazing looking ski, like a Stealth Bomber. It is pretty light, I didn’t weigh it but felt around 3kgs (be interesting to know the exact weight though). The dimensions are not totally outrageous for a freerando ski: 126/89/115mm, the turn radius is quite small, 18m, which makes me wonder what the edge hold is like on steep and hard snow - I prefer a straighter ski.

You’ve probably seen this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQWtd4PQzj4

Are you thinking of using the Dyna Vert’s for the brakes? Otherwise just go for the TLT speeds.

I’m interested how these wide(r) skis perform in difficult snow, I think they may be even more interesting for those conditions than in powder. I’ve just got a pair of Atomic Sugar Daddies (see related thread) which have 99mm underfoot for just this scenario. (ok they are actually Heaven and Hell - which is the woman’s model but virtually the same ski apart from egregiously bad graphics. I will let you know how I get on with them.

Posted: 31 January 2010 09:31 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

ref bindings: well, as I’ve been riding Dynafit Tech gear for some 20+ yrs as of now, I do not feel like changing.... but, the Vertical FT12 versatility appeals me… longitudal adjustment up to 26mms with no re-drilling needed…

ref brakes: I will go for a complet set of FT12 incl. brakes 92mms

ref youtube: yap, I’ve seen it… several times....smile… and some others, too....

ref Crusair: I’ve happened to come a across a very promising/positive review (http://www.freeskiing.cz/articles.asp?article=852 - unfortunatelly in Czech only) - in brief it reads: very submissive ski, lightweight, well mannered on both groomed hardpack and deep powder… three, two, one, sold: I’m ordering tomorrow… will do some report/review then....

Posted: 01 February 2010 08:57 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Ok spoke to someone who uses them for touring. 330g in 176 so my guess of 3000g (pair) for 166cm can’t be far off. Anyway he says great in powder but the carbon fibre makes the ski very rigid so you need to be fit to master it. 85-90mm seems to be the sweet spot for a freeride touring ski these days.

Posted: 09 February 2010 08:08 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

my new altar....LOL

crusairy.jpg

Will ride 2morrow...so no good sleeping 2night.. wink

Posted: 10 February 2010 08:37 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Wow! I am truly impressed....

Well groomed piste, extremely short, compact curves - very good feeling, the same while carving it bit longer or even very, very looooooong.... but, the climax came once I endeavoured outside fenced piste - the “float” is incredible.... ooooooaaach, I want it again...... and again… and again....  tongue rolleye

Posted: 12 February 2010 10:07 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

crusairy2.th.jpg
to the left - it ain’t kid’s gear.... smile

Posted: 12 February 2010 10:17 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Wow, they look good with the Dynafits, what boots are you using?

Posted: 13 February 2010 09:17 AM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

(brand new) Garmonts Radium - look above.

Last night fitted the skins (contour W-thread mix 110mm roll; sidecut, end-hooks and front ring done DIY). In an hour I’m leaving for the very first off-piste randonee trip using this new gear-kit. Local trip only.... my “playground” hills (called “Beskydy mountains").... elevation between 400 and 1324 meters above sea level to be found around here only. Actually, some 2-3 feet of powder cover.

Will report by the evening.

Posted: 13 February 2010 05:48 PM   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Well, I am back. To be short (and in answer to my initial question): yes, Scott Crusair go!

Did a trip to the local highest place (1324m above sea level) - starting down in the valley I had to gather altitude over 800meters. Reaching the summit I turned to the other side of the mountain, ploughing powders some 400+ meters down. Uphill (skins on, again) back to the summit and 800meters of exctasy back to the parking lot (some 4+ strenuous hours)

Skis: In powders, they go into the (compact) curve even more easily than my late Fischers, while the float is still incredible.... Wow! I am delighted.
Boots: amazing as well - soft, comfortable at uphilling (no blisters despite the “warm” G-fit inners), miracuosly turning into real “race solid” squezzers while downhilling. Great, great, great.

Sure as hell this kit is the best randonee gear I ever had.

Posted: 25 October 2010 01:34 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-10-25

Really its a great idea of going on high level. You said that you had spent 25 years of your life in “classic” randonee/skimountaneering,Dynafit TLT 4 boots it means you are perfect in this things if you go for higher things you will be getting perfection in those activity which will make you perfect in all activity. I appreciate your ideas. Go for it.

Signature 

mephisto

Posted: 26 January 2011 07:44 PM   [ # 11 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

A year of living the Crusair’s gone.... and the experience is so thrilling, especially in powders… on a hardpack or broomed pista 90mm underfoot seems to be a bit too wide, so ... there is another pair of Scotts under way… smile.... XploirAirs, 175cm/80mm underfoot, this time.... the baby-size Fischers X-treme(170cm/70mm underfoot) are gone memories…

Posted: 01 February 2011 11:02 AM   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Need a tech help/advice/guidance, but do not want to raise new thread, so renaming and updating existing one.

Just got a pair of Scotts (XploirAir 2011 - 175cms) + Vertical ST bindings (which I always do fitting DIY). Came across strange thing - the ski cenmtermark is set by 3-4 cm forward (to the position it should be compared to other skis of mine - see pictures).

skis.jpg

I am bit afraid to drill it upon centermark given as I might end-up with much too imbalanced ski…

any thoughts?

(whilst the Crusairs and Fischers are already fitted, the binding on Xploirs is not fitted yet - laid onto only, for the better picture)

[ Edited: 01 February 2011 11:04 AM by pavproch]

Posted: 05 February 2011 04:00 PM   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

well, did it my way.... having compared several pairs of 175cm skis I came to conclusion an average distance “centermark to ski end” counts 73.5cm, while the same measured on the XplorAirs expands to 76.5cm…

so I drilled it at 74.5cm....

Already tested (broomed pista as well as some hardpack and pow)...works pretty well… but not so easy at compact turns as the Crusairs (the fact bears no surprise as the Xplors are significantly stiffer and the sidecut is by far sharper)

Posted: 30 March 2013 05:57 PM   [ # 14 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

(Just updated thread header accordingly.)

Having had a close encounter with several boulders (hidden in pow) recently, my old good Crus´Airs are nearly gone.... :-(

Will try to repair the torn edge, but cannot believe it will work…

Being conservative to the bone, I feel like sticking to already proven gear....

Sooooo, anyone anywhere seen Crus´Airs (preferrably the older models - all in black) 179cm (90-92mm under the heel) on sale?

Posted: 03 April 2013 09:07 PM   [ # 15 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Well, do not want to be prematurely optimistic, but.... a pair of 179cms Crusairs (model 2012/13 in white) as well as a brand new set of FT12/92mms binding ordered and paid for.... both items heavily discounted, nonetheless still a bargain worth 800 EUR…

1 of 2