Dom (4.554m) N-face
Posted: 01 February 2010 06:19 PM  
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-29

Browsing aimlessly the web, I came across this picture

334946.JPG

Looks pretty much ski-able....  question

(Bothered myself to have done some googling - to no avail, though...)

Posted: 01 February 2010 07:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-23

Back in 1994 I climbed the Dom with 2 mates - we went up the Festigrat (I think thats the name) which is the right hand skyline in your photo.  We descended via that N face (the normal route up) and you can see the track in the photo.
It would be a superb descent on skis (or like me on a split board) BUT....
The Dom is rated as having the biggest sweat factor of any alpine peak = dif in height between start and top.  You have 5000 feet to walk/climb up from the valley to the hut (and the hut approach towards the top is an airy scramble with wires - not good in ski boots, with skis or winter conditions).
Then there is a glacier approach and a climb up a 150 foot rock barrier before you get into the area of the picture you are looking at.
So, a fantastic descent but after much effort.
Maybe to be done once the hut opens - so early summer when the hut approach is clear of snow.

If you want skiable peaks how about the Weissmeiss?
Phil

Posted: 02 February 2010 03:52 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31

Phil’s comments fit with what I’ve heard: the lower approach (including via ferrata climb) is so onerous with skis that you should try to ski the Dom if you have a very strong need to say that you skied it.

Hadn’t thought of the Wiessmies before. My French Swiss guidebook says that the summit is often not skiable due to ice.
Another option for a (sometimes) skiable peak in that region is Nordend of Monte Rosa (higher than the Dom). Or the Signalkuppe / Capanna Margherita (also higher) is perhaps more often in condition for skiing - a pretty enough run, though not very steep—surely more pleasant to approach.

“sweat factor” ...
Seems to me Mont Blanc by the Aiguilles Grises “normal Italian” route from Val Veny is pretty big (3250 vertical meters - no lift available) - which I’ve heard suggested as a (challenging + very spectacular) ski tour. Or if you avoid using the Plan d’Aiguille lift, climbing Mont Blanc from the Tunnel entrance is about 3600 vertical meters (more like 3750m if start carrying skis walking from Chamonix).

Still I guess with the Dom you’re required to do all that vertical with all muscle power, no lift assistance, no alternative higher start point. Seems like it’s about 3100 vertical meters of climbing up from Randa. Big enough for me.

Monte Rosa from Zermatt only about 2900-3000m vertical. Much more pleasant lower section than the Dom. Still big enough for me.

Ken