News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Dynafit ski brakes not engaging.
Posted: 07 January 2010 05:38 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-07

Hi there.

My touring skis are currently fitted with 2008/2009 vintage Dynafit binding with ski brakes. I also use this set up at my local piste from time to time. On two occasions last winter I lost a ski in a fall, only for it to zoom off without the brake engaging. It seems that what is happening is that in a fall where pressure is kept on the ski, as the heel piece rotates to release the boot, it also engages the ski brake. Is this a known problem and can anything be done about it?

Thanks!

Posted: 07 January 2010 10:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I had a lot of problems with the ski brakes on my Dynafit Comforts. Lou Dawson suggests lubricating the brake unit:

My Dynafit ski brakes stick sometimes, in other words, when my boot comes out of the binding, they don’t spring open, fix?
Lubricate all brake mechanism pivot points with light oil such as WD40 (keep off base of ski and skins). If lubrication doesn’t work, place a few layers of duct tape on the ski, under the front of the gray plastic brake actuator plate where it contacts the ski when pressed down by the boot in alpine mode. This holds the plate up slightly higher so the binding doesn’t “catch” in the retracted position.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/dynafit_faq/dynafit_faq1.html#jam

However it is not clear whether this is related to your problem. Mountain guide Francois Gouy told me he had a mod for one of the jam problems which involved taking the heel piece apart and removing or filing a lug. However I don’t have the details of this fix.

[ Edited: 07 January 2010 10:19 PM by davidof]

‹‹ Scarpa Matrix boots      AT Gear in Grenoble? ››