News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Skier falls 50 meters into “crevasse”
Posted: 04 January 2010 11:01 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

A complicated rescue for the fire service (GMPS - Groupe Montagne des Sapeurs) yesterday after a man fell 20 meters into a crevasse then slid a further 30 meters leaving him 50 meters underground. This was no high mountain rescue on the glaciers of Mont Blanc but on a ski touring route to la Tournette close to la Clusaz. The crevasses are holes formed by chemical erosion of limestone rocks. Covered by snow they are just as deadly as their glacial cousins. The Tournette is well known for this danger. Fortunately the man, who was skiing alone on the east side of the mountain, was rescued after 2 hours and taken to hospital in Annecy.

The rescue services were also active on the Brevent where a female snowboarder had to be rescued by helicopter after getting blocked by ice on an off piste section.

[ Edited: 05 January 2010 12:44 AM by davidof]

Posted: 04 January 2010 04:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31
davidof - 04 January 2010 11:01 AM

The Tournette is well known for this danger.

But not to me.
And I have skied on La Tournette. So thanks for posting this cautionary tale.

Ken

Posted: 05 January 2010 10:43 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I didn’t know about the potholes either, the person who sent me the story told me they are present near the base of the climb. A 20 meter drop plus a further fall of 30 meters is a long way and the skier is very luck although I think he suffered a fractured pelvis (so maybe not so lucky).