News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Off pisters caught in Savoie Avalanches
Posted: 23 December 2009 09:31 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

With Meteo France warning of the possibility of skier triggered avalanches and after a period of strong southerly winds, rapidly warming temperatures and fresh snow you could fear the worst. In fact the day passed without serious injury, except to the dog of the Grand Plan refuge who was killed by a large snow slide.

Yesterday at 11h00 the gardian of the Grand Plan refuge near Courchevel was hit by a slide in the combe des Avals killing his dog.

At Valmorel an English skier was buried under a meter of snow after triggering a snowslab. She was rescued by units of the CRS des Alpes from Courchevel (mountain police) suffering from mild hypothermia and shock. The skier was with her dad and brother when the siblings ducked ropes in the Combe de Roche Blanche sector to ski a wind loaded ridgeline. The accident occured at 12h30. The victim was found using Recco reflectors in her ski boots.

In the Maurienne at Valmeinier an off piste skier was buried by an avalanche late in the afternoon under the col des Marches. A skier was quickly recovered by the pisteurs but a large rescue operation was put in place after fears that another skier had been buried. The missing skier had in fact escaped the slide.

[ Edited: 25 December 2009 09:21 PM by davidof]

Posted: 27 December 2009 04:29 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 23 December 2009 09:31 AM

The victim was found using Recco reflectors in her ski boots.

lucky and making a bit of history grin It’s the first live recovery of a skier with RECCO I’ve ever heard of.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 28 December 2009 12:35 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24
ise - 27 December 2009 04:29 PM

davidof - 23 December 2009 09:31 AM
The victim was found using Recco reflectors in her ski boots.

lucky and making a bit of history grin It’s the first live recovery of a skier with RECCO I’ve ever heard of.

There was another in les Deux Alpes a couple of years back. If you are close to a ski resort, say down piste from a pisteurs hut where they have the scanner than it would be possible for the pisteurs to get to you within 5-10 minutes. Recco always say their pastels are a complement to beacons.

Posted: 28 December 2009 03:50 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24

I’ve often wondered how many RECCO sets a station really has when they say they’re equipped and where they’re located.

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2009 10:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Hmm, these are the resorts with units:-

http://recco.com/resorts/resorts.pdf

but no idea how many sets they have. The Recco is useful as it can detect more than just Recco pastels so helps with body recovery as well. Anything that speeds up the time S&R workers spend looking for people has to be good news.

Posted: 29 December 2009 09:44 AM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24

Thinking about I seem to recall another recovery in Zermatt as well, IIRC it was ultra quick as well.

I knew RECCO detectors could pick up other electronic chaff but AFAIK it’s doesn’t seem commonly used in Switzerland at least. Reading the SLF reports they generally record recovery methods and it’s usually dogs or probes, I’ve often thought that was odd actually.

Signature