News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

New to pistehors and france!
Posted: 21 December 2009 05:53 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-12-21

Hi all,

I just joined and am here in france for the next few months to do some skiing.  Also looking for a few english speakers to hang out with and explore the backcountry.  Would anyone like to ski together at some point?  I’m based at Les 7 Laux.

Let me know!

Watson

Posted: 21 December 2009 10:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31

I’ve done lots of ski tours, but never one from the Sept Laux—so that could be a good excuse to meet.
Do you have a car? willing to drive up to the southern Beaufortain or Lauziere around Albertville?
I assume you’re free often on weekdays?

I ski at a wide range of speeds and steepness depending on my partners—but just to get sense of which other partners to bring along on a tour with you ...
What sorta steepness are you looking for?
Any rough sense of how fast you climb on single-day tour?

If you send some of your contact info (esp phone) to the address on this page:
http://roberts-1.com/ski/c/07d
then I can give you call when I get to France.

Ken

Posted: 22 December 2009 07:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Hi Guys,

Ken you did la Belle Etoile with me last year from les Sept Laux.

Watson… what are you doing here? Are you working or just ski bumming? Anyway we’ll fix up a meet, what days do you have free?

David

Posted: 23 December 2009 12:08 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-12-21

For the time being let’s say I’m ski bumming.  I’m trying to “officially” get a job at one of the mid-mountain ski restaurants but the ever so helpful french government is being incredibly.... well, you know.  I’m free pretty much every day around 10am-4pm.  I’m also free for the entire day, but I’d have to know beforehand.

I don’t have much experience in the backcountry, I have to admit.  I come from the east coast of the US, where the best backcountry is found on the backside of lift-served mountains.  Basically I just want to get the most out of my time here, you know?  I’d like to go as steep as I can handle and push my comfort zone because it doesn’t seem to me like there’s a better time or place to do it.

Posted: 23 December 2009 10:38 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Hi Watson,

Do you have touring bindings? Although somewhere like the Jasse can be accessed via a ridge scramble there is a lot of skiing accessible if you want to climb a bit.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/Les-Sept-Laux-Off-Piste

Posted: 24 December 2009 05:09 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-12-21

Yep!  I’m actually on telemark skis, so touring is easy for me and also part of the reason why i got into telemark.

Thanks for pointing this link out.  I’ll be sure to use it!  And I’ll be around until early march, so let me know when you (anyone) are in the neighborhood and we can ski together.