This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

kilowatt 08/09 versus kilowatt 09/10
Posted: 16 December 2009 03:53 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-16

Anyone have any experience with both versions? If so, what do you like/dislike about each.

Thanks

Posted: 16 December 2009 11:08 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Not tested this year’s, here is our review for last year although I must confess 95mm is a bit of a step up in fatness for me. The general verdict on all the BD range was that they were too stiff for mortals and needed good, fit riders to get the best out of them.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Black-Diamond-KiloWatt

Here is the ditzy but cute Julia Ebser telling us about the 2008 range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jXaVploeg8

Here is what Thomas Hodel tells us of the 2009 range:

We have made our skis softer this year (this was a critism of the 2008 range). The construction has been updated and comes from the Verdict with strips of birch close to the edges to give better edge hold and less vibrations.

This year Ski Magazine says the following:

This is the straightest ski in its category with a radius of 24.5 meters. The kilowatt is fairly rigid but wide with 95mm underfoot. The ski is fairly different in its conception and in its target audience and you need to have some fitness.

On the piste it is ok without creating any sparks. It feels safe for strong skiers who need to make quick stops or to turn abruptly. It has a stiff tail with a shovel that floats well the ski is really for off piste. Its weight and measurements make it a good candidate for ski touring or slackcountry use (Duke, Diamir etc) even if its stiff tail makes it problematic in crusty snow.

Not really meant for resort use but comes into its own for freeriding where snow changes with altitude and aspect. For skiers with a good a technique.

Here is a video of Julia talking about the 2009 range (yes we just can’t get enough of Julia).

http://video.mpora.com/watch/tGh1o8ab6/

Reading between the lines I don’t think Ski Magazine likes the Kilowatt. They reccommend the Head Peak 82 and the Blizzard Titan Cronus IQ Max in the same category although both a signifcantly skinnier.

Posted: 17 December 2009 10:14 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 16 December 2009 11:08 PM

Not tested this year’s, here is our review for last year although I must confess 95mm is a bit of a step up in fatness for me. The general verdict on all the BD range was that they were too stiff for mortals and needed good, fit riders to get the best out of them.

That probably explains it grin

I’ve got three pairs of BD skis, voodoos, kilowatts and havocs, the havocs are last years model and just the same as the voodoo in size but stiffer. I’ve different bindings on them all but I’ve been thinking the havocs are better than the voodoo and benefit from the stiffness that’s been removed from the new models.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 17 December 2009 02:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2008-02-05

I tried some 07-08 K-Watts but took them back to Vieux Campeur after one week as they started to delaminate.  Totally hassle-free warranty swap for Rossi B94s so top marks for service both to V-C and BD - but - that experience and reports of bits falling off BD’s backcountry boots puts me off their products.  Which is a shame.  I’d like to like them!

Would be good to know if others have had good service from their K-Watts / BD skis genearlly (ie delamitation fixed for 09-10?) or if simlar issues continue…

Posted: 17 December 2009 03:40 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
BobSki - 17 December 2009 02:05 PM

I tried some 07-08 K-Watts but took them back to Vieux Campeur after one week as they started to delaminate.  Totally hassle-free warranty swap for Rossi B94s so top marks for service both to V-C and BD - but - that experience and reports of bits falling off BD’s backcountry boots puts me off their products.  Which is a shame.  I’d like to like them!

Would be good to know if others have had good service from their K-Watts / BD skis genearlly (ie delamitation fixed for 09-10?) or if simlar issues continue…

I’ve hundreds of days on the kilowatts and voodoos and I’ve not had a problem. Partly that’s why I got the havocs and partly because the skins off the voodoos fit without hassle.

Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2009 04:17 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-16

Ise, what did you think about last years voodoos compared to last years kilowatts? I am currently running the voodoos and am coming into the last years kilowatts on monday and was wondering how much of a difference I’m going to feel. This weekend will be 12 days on the mountain and I’m feeling like Im pushing my voodoos to their limit, though it could just be me.

This is great help, thanks guys.

Posted: 17 December 2009 11:14 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24

My voodoos are from 2007, I’m not sure they’ve altered since then though. The Kilowatts are from 2008 and the havocs are also the 2008 model. I have them all on different bindings which is the real reason I’ve got three current pairs.

I sometimes find the voodoos have slightly too much flex in tight spots and I find the kilowatts better in flex but then cumbersome on size, so far the havocs seem to hit a sweet spot but with the different bindings and only using them 10 days it’s hard to tell.

I always knew one day I’d develop as a skier to the point where the skis didn’t make any difference and I passed that point a while back, it doesn’t matter what ski I’m on, I’m no better on any of them grin

Signature