News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Car Hire @ Grenoble Airport
Posted: 08 December 2009 11:23 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-05-21

Hi to all.

I am flying in on the 17th with the boy, and 2 others for a week.
We intend to hire a car for a week and have a tour around, we are staying in Bourg.
We would be grateful for any advices on this, as some of the on-line major players seem very expensive...to me anyhow !
Hopefully, the rain will become powder, but not too much...THE WIFE WILL NOT BE AMUSED if we miss Xmas Day...We might be though.

Cheers

Posted: 09 December 2009 09:37 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The problem with Grenoble is the limited choice of hire. You seem to have desks for Avis, Hertz, Europcar and National. Holday Autos quote around 180UKP per week for a compact car. If you book through France you will also have a per k/m charge and it can work out expensive. The French are great car hirers at holiday periods so you would need to book soon.

Beware of lack of winter tires and snow chains. This may be a serious headache and watch out for Collision Damage charges and lack of agency staff to check the car when you return it.

Posted: 12 December 2009 08:55 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-12-12

Try AutoEurope or TravelSupermarket.com for the best prices but check the rental details for snow tyres and chains!

Posted: 13 December 2009 10:29 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-11-10

I can’t offer any advice on price but if you’re flying on Easyjet I’d suggest avoiding Europcar.  As their rental “partner” lots of Easyjet customers book with them and the queues (and hence the wait) can get very long

Posted: 14 December 2009 11:33 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-05-21

Thanks Guys

Ended up with Avis at £339 for a VW Golf or similar..National had a deal on.. but the office is closed on Thursdays ( £230 Peugeot 308 estate) Just my luck !

Anyhow, Snow’s looking good.