This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Skiing in La Grave question?
Posted: 01 December 2009 10:35 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

A friend of mine is itching for a trip to La Grave this winter. It’s got a great reputation, but is it all steep and gnarly? Like to ski off piste but not sure I want to spend a whole week at the edge of my ability especially when there’s no on piste option for a rest.

Posted: 01 December 2009 11:08 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Depending on the lift pass options (which I’m not sure of) you can access les Deux Alpes via the glacier and a ratrac ride. Les Deux Alpes offers a wide range of skiing from entry level to intermediate. You can also ski le Chazelet on the la Grave lift pass which is just opposite. Not the most extensive skiing but sunnier. I’m not sure if they run a shuttle bus (there is talk of putting in a cable car from the village and opening up the whole area).

La Grave is pretty gnarly, even the two main runs are fairly hard going as they get skied out first and you are then left with a load of tracked crud. There are some drags up on the glacier but you would probably find these pretty dull. Main problem with la Grave is that it can close down if there is too much snow. Most people then head elsewhere, often to Montgenevre if the Lauteret road pass is open.

Hopefully some experts can help out more.

Posted: 01 December 2009 11:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-02

Cheers, sort of what i expected to hear. Going to Alpe D’huez for a week in January so think I might nip over for a day trip before commiting to a whole week.

Posted: 02 December 2009 03:52 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-02

I spent a full week in La Grave 2 years ago; it’s a great resort and a great ambiance, people are very genuine there and love and respect the mountains. However it is very demanding; some of the rides are not too technically difficult but it is very physical. It’s a high resort, the cabin takes you to 3200m and the first day you will struggle breathing at the top.
You can never rest...as you entionned, no slopes, always tense. The guide will tell you the first day, “you don’t fall in La Grave”.
Forget about the connection with les Deux Alpes, you have to walk 20 mins at the top of the resort, and if you miss the last one you are in for €150 taxi, not great.
Mistake I did was not to invest in massage after 2 days, my kegs were burning. If you go, you need to approach it as serious sport, not leisure.
That said, it’s probably the best week of ski I ever experienced, not busy, great guides, great food; the key is to be in good (very good) condition.
I went with snowlegend.com, talk to Didi the boss he is a great guy.
Let us know your thoughts when you come back.

Posted: 02 December 2009 05:55 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-02

Cheers Lapin, that’s really helpful. I’m a mountaineer 1st so like the idea of that sort of atmosphere. Its the technical standard I was wondering about more that the exertion. Of course depends on the snow too! Lots of food for thought. thanks

Posted: 05 December 2009 03:01 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-12-02

Have a look at this, (I hope you understand a bit of French) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2yYTQyDAXE, and now you have to wait 1 month cool smile

‹‹ Earth to fry by 2100      Snow Tires ››