This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Advice on new touring rig for coming season.
Posted: 27 August 2009 07:24 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

Got rid of my Volkl Norbert Joos and Fritschi explores at the end of last season mostly because although the boards were great for going up they weren’t the best for a fun descent. (Apologies to bloke who bought them!)

Need to get sorted for coming season so could do with some advice. Want to go a bit lighter on the bindings so thinking of dynafit (my boots are compatible), but not sure what boards to go for. Shortlist at the moment: Movement Iki, dynastar altirail powder(provided they’ve sorted out manufacturing) or G3 Ace - although I’ve not been able to find much by way of reviews of G3 skis. For off-piste/side country I’m using a two year old Dynastar Legend 8000 which I really like. Would I be mad just to get another pair and fit them with dynafit? Would be a bit heavier but at least I wouldn’t need to fork out for new skins. Of course happy to learm if there’s some fab new gear in the pipeline that I haven’t heard of.

Posted: 29 August 2009 09:44 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24
petern - 27 August 2009 07:24 PM

Shortlist at the moment: Movement Iki, dynastar altirail powder(provided they’ve sorted out manufacturing) or G3 Ace - although I’ve not been able to find much by way of reviews of G3 skis. For off-piste/side country I’m using a two year old Dynastar Legend 8000 which I really like. Would I be mad just to get another pair and fit them with dynafit?

The Powders should be ok for next season but Dynastar have apparently hiked the price by around 40 euros. The problem seemed to be with initial manufacturing in Spain. I believe they are now being made back in the Arve valley at Sallanches. They are a light ski though.... and probably the most hyped touring ski of 2008!

The Legends with Dynafits would be a good idea, you would benefit from the skiability of the Legend while saving weight on the bindings. Not much disadvantage to the Dynafit binding to be honest.

I don’t know much about G3 either to be honest. They are welcome to send me a pair grin. If you want fat and light take a look at the Dynafit FT Manaslu, 95mm underfoot for around 3kg the pair. Predrilled for Dynafit FT bindings too. You would need somewhere with the right conditions to use them though.

Posted: 29 August 2009 12:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-02

Cheers! Dynafit ski vs Cairngorms sadly doesn’t sound like much of a contest. Will look into the Dynastar options. Any good online stores you can recommend I know about pretty much all the UK stores and Tele-mark Pyrennes?

Posted: 31 August 2009 04:53 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Sport Conrad may be worth a look too

http://www.sport-conrad.com

although my browser is currently giving me a warning when I visit their website.

I see what you mean about Cairngorm. I would suggest using an alpine backcountry rather than rando skis, something with tough edges. Your Legends for example. I wonder if the environment will be a bit hard on the Powders?

Of the Dynafit skis the 7 Summits would be best but I think there are better skis out there. I tour on Atomic Sweet Daddies which are fairly light but tough enough for our Chartreusien tree stump jumping.

Posted: 31 August 2009 11:30 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2007-10-02

Good advice! Thanks for all the help.

Posted: 18 September 2009 02:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-02-02

my touring buddy has the G3 Ace. it is nice and seems to ski well. he toured the vanoise last year and it went uphill pretty well.
i think he’s on here… not going to drop his mail address but he might stumble across it and drop a review.
doc_si