News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Avalanche risk in Swizterland, snow in the Vosges, Jura and Northern Alpes
Posted: 09 November 2007 12:56 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

We are seeing what could be the first real snowfall of the winter, now that it is cold enough to stick around. I’ve just checked outside the window and we should be seeing snow above 1000 meters. The falls should continue through Friday, at least in the Jura, Savoie.

High winds and up to a meter of snow is expected in the Swiss Alps and the Swiss Avalanche Research Institute has put out its first bulletin of the season.

From the Glarus Alps to the Alpstein region and in northern Grisons, the avalanche danger will increase during the course of the day to the level Considerable (Level 3). The avalanche prone locations are primarily on steep north facing slopes above approximately 2500 m, where the terrain has an even substratum, as well as in gullies and bowls. The dangers lies, on the one hand, in the fresh accumulations of snowdrift; on the other, in the weak old snow layering on the ground. Slab avalanches can be triggered by lone persons. Below about 2500 m, there is the additional hazard of being swept along by a snowslide in steep terrain and falling.

The bulletin warns that the danger will increase. Sounds like a weekend to be taking extreme care in the mountains.

http://www.slf.ch/avalanche/bulletin-en.html

[ Edited: 09 November 2007 08:59 AM by davidof]

Posted: 12 November 2007 07:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

According to an article on TSR.ch found by our friends at Kairn.com

during the night of Sunday to Monday 35cm of powder fell at altitude. The snow cover is between 50 - 200cm over a large area of the (Swiss?) alps. The deepest snow can be found at Uri, Schwyz and Glaris. The east of the Grrrrrrisons and Haut-Valais are also well covered. With a drop in temperature expected snow will fall to 500meters over the next few days. 14 road passes are closed. ViaSuisse has asked people travelling over 600 meters altitude to be careful.

http://www.kairn.com/news_montagne_58620.html

Obviously the quantity of snow will cause some avalanche risk over the next few days but assuming it stays cold the thick snowcover is a good base for winter. More worrying is France where the snow cover is thinner at present which could be setting up a strong temperature gradient and the formation of depth hoar if it stays cold over the next days. I’m not going to make any predictions yet but we need to keep a close eye on the situation and I will be up doing some pits when I get the time.